LR3 owner advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZC06LR3

Reaction score
Not a tech thread, just looking for advice from some other LR3 owners....My rover has really kicked me this month...and I figured this would be a good place to vent and get some advice. If there's a better non-tech spot, mods I apologize and feel free to move.

I have a 2006 LR3 HSE. Towing, DVD, Nav, black with black leather, grill guard, offroad lights, locking rear..its a beast and I love it. Had it for three years. General maintenance, brakes, tires, control arms, power window switch, diff fluids, transfer fluids, oil, park sensor...nothing major.. sourced parts and did the labor myself. the vehicle has been great.
here we are at year three, everything is cool up until March. Check Engine Light - P0171/174, I read through here, checked everything I could check with a multi meter and various cleaners/combustibles..I give a local shop a shot, they come up empty too..fine I give, I'll head to the dealer because I've heard some whine for a bit up front, finally decide to get it checked out by LR. Independent shops said 'eh' there was some noise but nothing they would worry about, so i figure while it's in for the CEL...had an independent shop change the fluids for me to get their eyes in, same reaction...everything looked fine, bearings were just a little noisy, they didn't recommend any further action.

Land Rover dealer tells me I need two new differentials for a modest sum of 8K. Excessive pinion play at both ends. I know I can get rebuilt units myself for around 3K from contacts through the forums (front diff,core charges, shipping, rear locker, core charge, shipping, etc) but damn.. I don't have that just sittin around.. not to mention tackling that myself on a daily driver. I've restored Jeep CJ's..working on an old Mustang..but this is a project from what I can see underneath and I don't know if I have all the tools, too much other junk in my garage... gonna have to borrow a garage floor or take it to work over a weekend..(warehouse not a garage, so space with a floor but no lift)
As for the Codes...LR Dealer - first said to buy an official LR MAF (so I swapped with a buddy who has an 08 LR3, no change).. then it was PCV..then it was PCV hose - all of which I fixed myself for a fraction of what they wanted me to pay them, light keeps coming back.... next appointment is Monday, I'm hoping they do the tsb ecm update and finally fix it..

But those diffs...anyone ever replace Diffs? is there a good write up somewhere? I've seen a bit of talk but no full write up. I've asked a couple local shops for a second opinion, but they don't want to bother. I'm in rural western PA...so I think their initial thought is that it will just be too much to deal with

so would you put the 3K in to an 11 year old tank with 95K miles? ... I'm upside down on the loan according to KBB - trade in according to KBB is only 6K ish on the high side,..on top of the diffs the CarFax has two accidents on it. both repaired perfectly, but of course that's another dropping point for a trade in negotiation.. I've been driving it just fine - i don't hear any horrible noise just a light whine around 50 mph+
then additionally this week:
The Nav system keeps giving me map read errors, which I use google on my phone anyway it's just annoying really.
sounds like I have a caliper sticking or a wheel bearing starting to squeak - only heard it twice so far..but now I'm hearing every little thing..
and i started getting an error about the front parking assist system..again nothing i'm concerned about but on top of A, B, C and D...
and it's only Wednesday...

What would you do? List it here to see if anyone else wants a project? try to trade it in? ride it out until I can fix it and avoid long highway trips?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start saving your money for the diffs. They aren't going to go out TOMORROW or anything. So just put away $300/mo and do it next year! With new (or rebuilt) diffs and more frequent diff oil changes I don't think it will be a recurring problem. The beast is worth it. Take a look around. There simply aren't vehicles like this being produced anymore.

ZC06LR3

Reaction score
thats a solid point. I test drove several vehicles just to get an idea of what's out there. I honestly didn't care for anything else. Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Explorer... The new Wrangler has come a long way.. but man it's no LR3

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I wouldn't be at the dealer with 95K unless I had an aftermarket warranty bringing me there.
Do you have any non-dealer LR mechanics in the area? Look around. There is usually at least one within a short drive of every dealership, just to serve all the higher mileage vehicles in the area.
Your work quotes and service recommendations will change once you get away from the dealer. Not saying your diffs aren't bad...

ZC06LR3

Reaction score
Where I'm at, nobody so far has been interested to really do a whole lot for me. Haven't found anyone else that advertises as such. A few places I took it to say they service 'all makes and models'. they did about as much work as I did on the CEL codes then called me back and suggested I take it to Land Rover...locally I have a few tuner outfits... a few German car joints... so far no such luck on anyone that seems too interested in Land Rover. I may look closer to the dealership though, that's a good tip.
I called two local spots that specialize in drive train, suspension, gearing etc - both expressed no interest in getting involved.

So far I don't see too much more in terms of major items on the forums - Motors seem strong, tranny, transfer don't seem as problematic as the diffs.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I'm at, nobody so far has been interested to really do a whole lot for me. Haven't found anyone else that advertises as such. A few places I took it to say they service 'all makes and models'. they did about as much work as I did on the CEL codes then called me back and suggested I take it to Land Rover...locally I have a few tuner outfits... a few German car joints... so far no such luck on anyone that seems too interested in Land Rover. I may look closer to the dealership though, that's a good tip.
I called two local spots that specialize in drive train, suspension, gearing etc - both expressed no interest in getting involved.

So far I don't see too much more in terms of major items on the forums - Motors seem strong, tranny, transfer don't seem as problematic as the diffs.
I feel your frustration. Yeah, I'd be uncomfortable taking it to anyone that is not a regular LR mechanic and has lessons learned from years of working on them.

I took me a while to find somebody. You have to start stopping LR drivers on the street or at the dealer and asking them where else they go. It is actually very hard to find aftermarket LR businesses by search. LR had their lawyers send cease and desist letters to every single business with "rover" in the title so a lot of well meaning independent shops had to change their names. I think I found mine by dumb luck driving around, walked in and he was like, "yup, been here for years." And I'd been web searching and yellow page searching for years, coming up empty.

Best of luck. I agree with earlier comments to keep the car and enjoy it if you can find a financial path to do so. If it is looks like it's becoming a burden, get something else (but the opportunity cost may be the same as paying for your diffs).

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the flip side, I have a terrific relationship with my dealer service department and they have always been fair. More expensive? Sure, but they work with me to get cost out and I know the job will be done right. My only point is that it's not impossible to use the dealership and be satisfied with that outcome.

ZC06LR3

Reaction score
Step 1 - start flagging down other Rover owners.
Step 2, see if I can build a better rapport with the Local Dealer.

I did get a couple trade offers just to see what I would be dealing with - so far they're all at the loooooowwwww end of the KBB "trade value" side of things, meanwhile local lots have LR3 and LR4 with mileage higher and options fewer for nearly 10K more than i'm being offered in trade.
I like the LR3 way too much. I'll start saving for those diffs

Globetrotter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple of things to check are the battery/alternator, these show all random faults. The squeak may be the parking brake system - check that rear wheels spin freely

samnt650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if you have build year (not model year) 2005 truck. If so then I am surprised your diff last that long. Mine gave up around 40k miles. As to the CEL code 0171 & 0174, how did you get them resolved? I had the same problem, ended up replacing all the Cats at 110k miles

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV