Lr4 Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oe rotors wear with the pads. they are somewhat soft. ive never seen them warp, but they do wear and you get a lip.

I change rotors with pads usually.

I agree. Until I found the Zimmermans I struggled finding good rotors outside of OEM. High carbon steel and are soft. Helps to make your wheels black lol.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've posted about this before, but my factory rotors had way more than 50% life (more like 65-70%) when my pads were totally shot (especially the rears). Despite having bought a full set of OE LR pads and rotors, I only replaced the pads. Car stops beautifully.

When the pads go bad again, I will replace the rotors along with the pads no matter what.

EDIT: I should add that this is the first time that I have not changed both pads and rotors. My previous cars (BMW's and other Europeans) all needed rotors at the time of pads.

Last edited:

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine lasted close to 30K miles before changing. I drive my LR4 bearing in mind a bit of physics... I drive it like a truck not like a VW Golf GTI (no offense intended to VW owners) However, when time to change came I went OEM: F/R Brembo rotors, Ferodo pads, LR brake sensors. Bought the parts myself for about $700. Took it to a reputable AAA approved local garage that I have used for my other cars/SUVs for years, and paid $300 labor (no time and tools to do it myself :(). 16K miles later braking still performing great.
Well... Got a couple of days a noticeable bit of steering vibration while braking softly between 35 to 40 mph. Repair shop tested and they say I have a bit of warping on the front rotors! On Brembo rotors???!!!o_O Seems they can rectify (lathe) them and problem should go. Not a happy camper here but this is cheaper than replacing rotors. VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH BREMBO. Next brake job will use LR original parts. Most probably it will save headaches and money.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the original Land Rover rotors are Brembo.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your caliper pins. If the calipers don't float then any amount of untrue will be felt. The rubber grommet on my caliper pin swelled allowed the caliper to bind. Vibration ensued. Part is $0.35.

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow up...

Caliper pins checked OK but were lubed anyway. Ended up lathing the front rotors and shimmy was gone (!). Mechanic recommended to take it smooth 1st 50 miles (I'll do 100 rather). Disappointed with Brembo (front) rotors :( . Any rotor recommendations besides original (and expensive) LR parts?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, as it turns out, my EBC rotors are still fine after about 12,000 miles, so you could give them a shot.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow up...

Caliper pins checked OK but were lubed anyway. Ended up lathing the front rotors and shimmy was gone (!). Mechanic recommended to take it smooth 1st 50 miles (I'll do 100 rather). Disappointed with Brembo (front) rotors :( . Any rotor recommendations besides original (and expensive) LR parts?

Zimmerman rotors (made in Germany) seem to be doing OK right now. I just don't think the QC on made in China rotors is all that good

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zimmerman rotors (made in Germany) seem to be doing OK right now. I just don't think the QC on made in China rotors is all that good

I bought LR OEM brake parts for the LR4, but I used Zimmerman parts on my BMW and they worked great and they were considered a unanimous good brand to use for BMW's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV