LR4 Favorite Year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to buy a used LR4, is there a particular year folks like that has a better engine or reliability?

I'm in the camp of wanting a truck with more offroad capability and less glitz, if that makes a difference on models I search for.

Also, is the gas mileage really worse on the LR4 than it is on my LR3? Or did they just lower the MPG due to revised reporting requirements. I'll still see up to 20 highway on a good day. Around town for me is likely 14-15, though.

Be open to any tips. The new Discovery just isn't doing it for me and I can't think of another make of car that I'd like as much as my LR3. Thanks in advance for any advice!

JWA33

Reaction score
The 5.0L V8 in the 2010-2013 LR4s have more hp and torque than the SC V6 in the 2014-2016s and I believe only one mpg less, so most people seem t prefer the 8. They all have probably had their water pump replaced by now, but otherwise both engines seem to have proven to be very reliable.

For off road considerations, 2014-2016s without the HD package only have a single speed transfer case, whereas all 2010-2013s with the 8 have the two speed.

As for "best" year, I think most would say 2013 as it's the last year of the V8 but with the newer nav system software introduced in 2012. But any of the 8s are nice.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR4 gas mileage is 1-2 mpg less than the LR3, but the increased power is worth the mpg loss. Highway mpg is 19, around town 14.

Todd, I just met with my accountant and I need to buy a new SUV this year for tax purposes. My 2013 is done depreciating. I will probably order a Discovery or Q7 and trade-in or sell my gray 2013. I'm thinking it will be available in the fall. If interested, send me a PM and we can talk more.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compared to my old 2006 Range Rover Sport with the 4.4L V8 (same V8 as in the LR3), the 5.0L of my 2013 LR4 actually gets marginally better gas mileage, despite the greater displacement. It could be that I used to punch it more with the Sport, but overall I think mileage will be pretty much the same, give or take a mile. Yeah, on a good day you will see 20-ish on a highway as well, and about 15 city/highway average. You will definitely appreciate the extra pep of the larger V8 though, big difference. A low mileage 2013 (with HD if possible - HD package becomes almost mandatory on later model years if you off-road regularly, since it includes the 2-sp transfer cases that was previously standard) would be my choice as well if I was in the market for a used one like you.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, to be clear, if I just get the HD package will it have the 2 speed transfer case and the rear locker? I know on the later years, more and more gets to be an option. Even the air shocks are an option on the Discovery.

Just want to know what option packages I have to look for. The dealers don't necessarily know, specially if it is a used LR4 at a non-LR dealer.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, to be clear, if I just get the HD package will it have the 2 speed transfer case and the rear locker? I know on the later years, more and more gets to be an option. Even the air shocks are an option on the Discovery.

Just want to know what option packages I have to look for. The dealers don't necessarily know, specially if it is a used LR4 at a non-LR dealer.

Look for "HSE Lux" as this package most likely has the HD package. I was unaware of this prior to purchasing my 2010 and lucked out. The 5.0 is a solid platform. Much better than the previous LR3's v8 in terms of management and reliability. Water pump is really the only thing to look out for as the seals break down and cause coolant leaks.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On V8 powered 2010-13s the HD option won't be that easy to find (whether you pick Lux or non Lux should make little difference as the Heavy Duty pack was a self standing option on every trim), I had to special order mine from the UK in late 2012 because my dealer couldn't find a single one fitted with it in the Western US. If you have to settle for a 2010-13 V8 without HD, at least you know you'll only be giving up the electronic locking rear diff and a full size spare wheel.

On 2014-16s with the SCV6 engine however, no HD pack means no 2-speed transfer case AND no rear loclers, so the lack of HD should be a definite deal breaker (if you enjoy wheeling your Land Rovet regularly, of course.)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV