LR4 Favorite Year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I generally think of LUX as having better leather and better stereo. Also, my HSE doesn't have dipping mirrors or memory seats. Now that I write this, I have to go check about the seats. I have absolutely no idea if it has memory seats, have to go check now, LOL.

You're right xenon lights will spoil you, I could never go back now. I was a little put off by the LR4 lights, they are yellower than the LR3. Still bright, just 'warmer'. I got used to it but I prefer the white white white lighting of the LR3.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our search for an LR4 was pretty easy. Walked onto the dealer lot and looked at the pre-owned selection, Bev said I like that color (Nara Bronze and matched our camper), checked the build sheet on all, her pick was the V8 and had HD (a requirement for me). A CPO truck out of New Mexico so great condition and no corrosion issues. Dealer let us take it home, hook up the camper and test drive it. Found the steepest hill to climb. Sold me on the V8 at altitude.

...... of course it was consistent with our purchase of anything. It was the most expensive one on the lot - a 2011 Nara Bronze HSE Lux with everything. Hand wringing and second thoughts. Argh. Now ours. No regrets.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cooler box has an on/off switch for the cooling feature. You can use it for just storage.

As for the headlights, I need to look it up. I think the 2013 HSE had fixed position xenons. I know the LUX has the adaptive xenons that swivel with the steering wheel.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lux had the HID, HSE did not.

To get adaptive (turning with wheel) you needed the vision assist package with the surround view cameras.

My HSE lux has the HID xenons, but Not vision assist. I didn't want the cameras or the auto high beams and all that.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lux had the HID, HSE did not.

To get adaptive (turning with wheel) you needed the vision assist package with the surround view cameras.

My HSE lux has the HID xenons, but Not vision assist. I didn't want the cameras or the auto high beams and all that.
So they don't have the follow the road movements of the headlights that are on my 2005 unless you get wrap around cameras?
I agree, I wouldn't want to deal with all the cameras and am surprised they linked the system.

Just test drove my first 2013 LUX. Two observations;
1) That 5.0 is *much* peppier than my LR3. Wow. Fun to drive.
2) That lease owner did more wear an tear in 42,000 miles than I've done in 233,000. Ugh. Car was a mess. Sales agent said, "well you have to expect wear and tear on a used vehicle." Uhhhh, not that much.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..... Two observations;
2) That lease owner did more wear an tear in 42,000 miles than I've done in 233,000. Ugh. Car was a mess. Sales agent said, "well you have to expect wear and tear on a used vehicle." Uhhhh, not that much.

1) :biggrin:

2) Ours had 33K miles on it and was near perfect. Some people just don't care.

JWA33

Reaction score
So they don't have the follow the road movements of the headlights that are on my 2005 unless you get wrap around cameras?
I agree, I wouldn't want to deal with all the cameras and am surprised they linked the system.

Just test drove my first 2013 LUX. Two observations;

Yep, the Lux got the single Xenons with the LED running lights. The Vision Assist package adds bi-xenons that turn with the car, auto high-beams, and the surround cameras, and was available on either HSE or Lux, just with a slightly lower price on Lux due to the overlap.

I found the same thing when looking for mine. Condition varied wildly. We ended up buying a 2011 with 88k miles because it was the cleanest one we could find, much better than any of them with half as many miles. Actually, it's cleaner than the 2016 my dealer has with 8k miles on it. Some people just don't take proper care of their vehicles.I've never owned a vehicle with this high of miles, but it was in the best condition cosmetically and had a perfect maintenance history, so we went with it.

oceantodd

Reaction score
If I were to buy a used LR4, is there a particular year folks like that has a better engine or reliability?

I'm in the camp of wanting a truck with more offroad capability and less glitz, if that makes a difference on models I search for.

Also, is the gas mileage really worse on the LR4 than it is on my LR3? Or did they just lower the MPG due to revised reporting requirements. I'll still see up to 20 highway on a good day. Around town for me is likely 14-15, though.

Be open to any tips. The new Discovery just isn't doing it for me and I can't think of another make of car that I'd like as much as my LR3. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Don't buy a Land Rover! They all eventually fall apart!

I recently had the crank shaft on my Discovery 4 snap in two which damaged the engine to the point that it needed replacement. It is going to cost me about $13,000 to get a refurbished engine installed. There were only 42,000 miles on the odometer. It was out of warranty and Land Rover told me tough luck, sorry. This was an obvious manufacturing defect. I have heard this is a common problem. I planned on buying a new Discovery but have changed my mind. Stay away folks!!!! #landrover #discovery4 #discoveryfail #landroverproblems #discovery #discovery4fail #landroversucks #aboveandbeyond #RangeRover #landroverdiscovery #landroverexperience #landroverseries #rangeroversport #rangeroverevoque #evoque #jaguar #f-pace

leadoverdistance

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has had experience with the V8 versus the V6 at real altitude.

I spend most of my time driving in the Rockys. Altitude is typically 7 000 feet and above. Logic would dictate that a forced induction should yield more performance at that altitude?

I am very interested to hear what owners say about this.

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV