LR4 Immobilized

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone see my other thread on the alternator going out.

The truck is in now in immobilized status. Any tips on how to get it out????

IIDtool won't reset it for some reason.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is "immobilized status"? what codes do you have? Did you fix the alternator? have a good battery? Do a simple reset (unplug the batt for awhile)?

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is "immobilized status"? what codes do you have? Did you fix the alternator? have a good battery? Do a simple reset (unplug the batt for awhile)?

All the ECUs are down. Console screne says "steering column lock". But the steering column is not actually locked. Its like when it died rather than being shut off it went haywire. All the ECUs have faults that can not be cleared by the IIDtool. Im in touch with Gap Diagnostic to see if they can help me.

Yes. New OEM alternator. New 12-month-old battery and now fully recharged etc (interstate). Everything powers up normal. But won't try and start. Push the brake and push the button start as normal and everything just shuts off.

Tried resetting the error codes with IIDtool but it won't clear them. It looks as if every ECU module is basically in a fault mode.

Tried resetting battery for 24 hours. Touched cables together for hard reset etc.

Last edited:

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update.

After the new alternator, I tried just about everything to get the rig to fire the starter. It seems as if the BCM won't communicate with the starter because the steering column ECU needs reprogramed.

I tried emailing with GAP but they were useless. Don't count on them if you need to ask a question or your looking for any help whatsoever. Disappointing.

At this point, I choose to have the rig towed to the dealer for reprogramming. Hopefully, I'll have it back sometime tomorrow.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update.

Took her to the dealer. It took them a week to get it "started". Apparently, they ended up having to call for the original coding software to the vehicle. Once they did this they were able to get it to start. The vehicle still has codes for ABS, DSC, steering column etc. I should know tomorrow what direction they are suggesting we take. It may be a fried steering angle sensor.

Obviously, it looks as if there is an engineering oversight. When the alternator goes to bad and to ground it should not be able to take out the entire vehicle. I've been very impressed with my LR3 and until recently my LR4... this, however, seems to remind me of old school LR issues.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another Update. Dealer experience has been horrible. After leaving multiple messages and making multiple calls over two weeks I finally get a quote for a new steering angle sensor. $800 The part is marked up almost $100 over MSRP. What a joke. Additionally, the dealer lost my battery cover and the cover to my engine fuse box. They told me it wasn't on the vehicle when it arrived. Unreal.

I'm now sorting out the sensor myself.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final update.

I know this thread may sound like a lot of whining but you need to knoI'veve literally had little to no service from nearly everyone ive come in contact with on my issue. My INDY (European Autohaus in Spokane WA) was absolutely incredible.

My local LR dealership was either straight up lying to me or they don't have any idea what they are doing. My LR4 did not need a steering angle sensor it just needed to be recalibrated. A simple reflash of factory software and recalibration of the steering angle sensor and the vehicle was good to go. 2 Weeks at the dealer! 2 WEEKS!

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were lying to you to get to your pocketbook. I stay clear of any LR dealers. Even with my extended warranty. They wanted $1099 for brakes. I sourced the parts for $438 back and front OEM. I take mine to E2 Services in Orlando and Duffy's Garage in Birmingham. Both reputable indy shops

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were lying to you to get to your pocketbook. I stay clear of any LR dealers. Even with my extended warranty. They wanted $1099 for brakes. I sourced the parts for $438 back and front OEM. I take mine to E2 Services in Orlando and Duffy's Garage in Birmingham. Both reputable indy shops

Honestly, they are so incapable that they could just be bad techs and ignorant service advisors. I even had a direct reference from someone who works for my indy that used to work with the service manager of LR at BMW.

They never even found the battery cover and engine fuse box cover! I have never had a stealership lose parts on my car and then have the nerve to tell me they were not on the vehicle when it arrived. UNREAL

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unreal experience but it must feel great to get it sorted out finally. Great testimonial for your indy crew. I do not envy the stealership for the scathing social media reviews they're about to get. :eek::eek:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut