LR4 largest Tire size with lift on 18" Compomotives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not about any differences in the lr4 vs lr3. The tires mentioned above are a lot taller than what you were using. Many people used the 285/60x18 unless maximum diameter was desired. Then the clearances became much tighter.

What color is your E61 ? I have a "Deep Sea Blue" :)

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not about any differences in the lr4 vs lr3. The tires mentioned above are a lot taller than what you were using. Many people used the 285/60x18 unless maximum diameter was desired. Then the clearances became much tighter.

What color is your E61 ? I have a "Deep Sea Blue" :)

Ok. So I'm probably good if I run that same size. It was a great tire and Id like to pick up another set.

I believe my E61 is "Black Saphire" has the two tone black and deep brown interior. Such a great car!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I'm probably good if I run that same size. It was a great tire and Id like to pick up another set.

I believe my E61 is "Black Saphire" has the two tone black and deep brown interior. Such a great car!

285/60x18 is perfectly fine with zero mods to fender liners. So is 265/65x18. Larger diameter requires fender liner bulge reduction modification.

BMW Black Saphire is nice. My 2006 Z4 M Roadster had that paint with "Sepang Bronze" (cream) leather seats and door inserts on black everything else.

Your interior may actually be like my E61. Natural Brown seats and inserts on black carpet and other materials. It's trim is the optional Poplar including the 6 spd shifter which looks classy against the natural brown leather.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285/60x18 is perfectly fine with zero mods to fender liners. So is 265/65x18. Larger diameter requires fender liner bulge reduction modification.

BMW Black Saphire is nice. My 2006 Z4 M Roadster had that paint with "Sepang Bronze" (cream) leather seats and door inserts on black everything else.

Your interior may actually be like my E61. Natural Brown seats and inserts on black carpet and other materials. It's trim is the optional Poplar including the 6 spd shifter which looks classy against the natural brown leather.

Perfect. Im probably going with compo's and that tire size again.

I bet we have the same interior then. My 01 M5 is my favorite interior though... The full leather dash and door cards with alcantara headliner are where its at. :bandit:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As pointed out, the 285/60 is really no bigger in diameter than the 265/65 tire. You are gaining width only.

265/65/18 = 31.56" diameter / 10.43" wide / 6.78" sidewall <--- No mods needed
285/60/18 = 31.46" diameter / 11.22" wide / 6.73" sidewall <--- No mods needed

275/65/18 = 32.07" diameter / 10.83" wide / 7.04" sidewall <--- Some mods needed
265/70/18 = 32.61" diameter / 10.43" wide / 7.30" sidewall <--- Lots of mods needed

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A guy in my rover club has them on his LR3 and they look/perform great!

For now I am sticking with my BFGs (they are newer), but the Duratrecs are on my mind in case my situation/terrain changes (ie, I move to the east cost).

Duratrac's are an amazingly good tire in all conditions. Compound is a little soft. Found that mine chunked a little bit when crawling and they wear a little quick but otherwise really good tire in off-road conditions. I feel like Goodyear knows if they built that in a 37" tire their MT/R sales would weaken.

jmoeller

Reaction score
LR4 with 255/60R19 Goodyear Adventure

I can confirm that my stock 2015 LR4 didn't have any issues with a 255/60R19 Goodyear Adventure tire. The tire is 31.1" in diameter, and does't rub inner fender at full turn at normal or off road heights. The load rating is a little low for this tire compared to the OEM tire, but I don't tow anything higher than a 500 lb tongue weight, so all-in-all the 109 load rating for the tire works for my purposes. The car looks much more appropriate with a slightly beefier tire, the 255/55 OEM Contis suck, Land Rover should be ashamed for even fitting this car with such a POS tire.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is an LR4 with 275-65-18
Black Compomotive wheels and Johnson Rod lift.
The tires are Michelin LTX A/T2's
Check here for more wheel information or tire size options:
http://johnsonrods.com/johnson_rods_3_006.htm
0black%20compo%20with%20jrod%20lift%20front%20side.jpg

20black%20compo%20with%20jrod%20lift%20back%20side.jpg

LR4%20black%20compo%20with%20jrod%20lift%20wheel_1.jpg

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some follow up information on how the wheels/tires and lift are working out along with some good info and a picture towing a trailer which is interesting.

Greg:
I’ve been very happy with the Michelins – my first impressions relayed to Barry have held up. They’re quiet, ride great, and look good. They barely touch the ends of the frame rails at full steering lock with a bit of compression on the suspension, like when you’re backing out at the bottom of a steep driveway or in a relatively high speed u-turn in traffic. It’s just enough to polish the paint off the ends of the frame rails, but I’d opt for them again in a second. My passengers always expect the LR4 to ride like a Conestoga wagon based on the lift and tires, but it retains that amazing Land Rover air suspension ride quality, even better than the factory setup, probably because of the taller sidewall, though I bet that could be different with the load range E tires many folks choose. I picked the Michelins precisely because they weren’t load range E. I’m sure the guys who do serious and frequent off-roading are happy to exchange some cushy ride for the tougher sidewalls on the heavy duty tires.

Also been very happy with the towing performance with the Johnson Rods and tires, I attached one more picture for fun of how she looks with the travel trailer. The trailer is a 26”, well over 5k lbs loaded, and obviously pushes a lot of air. The effective higher gearing of the bigger tires works out beautifully with the transmission ratios – 5th gear is perfect for cruising at 70 mph. Before the change with the factory wheels and tires, 6th was a little too tall and 5th was a little too short for highway cruising. And on big hills, the downshift to 4th puts the 5.0L right to 3k rpm at 70 mph, which seems to be a great torque sweet spot for the engine and handles all but the steepest hills, which you usually wouldn’t want 70 mph for anyway. I had some concerns about it getting a little squirrely while towing with the extra sidewall squish of the 32” tires, but it performs beautifully.

Whenever you spend money to modify a car, the expectations are high and there’s usually some level of minor (or major) disappointment, but I’ve been exceptionally happy with the combination of the Johnson Rods, the Compomotive wheels, and the Michelins LTX A/T2's. Genuinely thrilled.

Best regards,

Mike

LR4%20Towing_1.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi