LR4 largest Tire size with lift on 18" Compomotives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can add that 265/65/18 Cooper AT3's haven't had any rubbing issues. No rods used.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 265-65-18 (31.5") is right at the point where you should consider having the lift.
That size has been a popular choice and generally its done with the lift because it looks and functions better with the additional space.

Here is an example on a full size Range Rover with a Johnson Rod lift taking advantage of that additional space. So if you take your LR3/4 off road like this then you should consider it.

pic7.jpg

http://johnsonrods.com

marcap599

Reaction score
Yes, I have the 285/65 R18 on my LR4 2010. I have fitted also the 33" x 12.5" R17 (Brakes modification is needed for 17").
You must cut the chassy in the front, cut and relocate some plastics.
In the back need to bend some metal and plastic cutting also.
Absolutely recommended a lifting system (EAS modules, or reprograms) and a proper new wheel alignment.

33":
12122638_884089971675041_3318428898831597814_n.jpg

285/65 18:
11427837_10153927916583275_5396022003486185537_n.jpg

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion going over 32 inches only invites more problems.
I always recommend not exceeding 32 inches.
The Johnson Rod lift has been the most reliable lift for the last six years. When Land Rover dealers lift their vehicles for sale they don't use an IID tool. They use the Johnson Rod lift. It just works like the original part and that's what they care about.

Here is a Land Rover Dealer using a Johnson Rod lift with larger tires to increase sales in their showroom.

land_rover_Dealer_Johnson%20Rods_2.jpg

http://johnsonrods.com

j3design

Reaction score
I will be getting 18" compomotives with Johnson rods and I would like to have either 275/65 R18 Goodyear Duratrack OR Toyo open country 275/70R18's. I have seen both on a LR4 before,. My question is it's unknown if they added spacers or how much was needed to cut and trim from the wells.

Would adding 3/4 in spacers help a lot with avoiding cutting and bending wheel wells.

The _Just

Reaction score
I will be getting 18" compomotives with Johnson rods and I would like to have either 275/65 R18 Goodyear Duratrack OR Toyo open country 275/70R18's. I have seen both on a LR4 before,. My question is it's unknown if they added spacers or how much was needed to cut and trim from the wells.

Would adding 3/4 in spacers help a lot with avoiding cutting and bending wheel wells.

I'm also looking to swap my 20s for 18s w Duratracs. Johnson site says 265/60/R18 don't need a lift. I hope that also means factory-ish travel and no rub issues without rods. If I end up going with rods, extra clearance.

The 32" duratrac shows rods are required but are smaller than the largest that fit. By that measure, it's highly unlikely you'd need any kind of spacer or have rubbing unless you didn't use rods.

The 20" duratrac also say no rods needed. Save ya some loot on wheels but I'm sure there's ultimately trade-offs.

Either way, I'm down for some wheel well triming just in case.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need a lift. If you have any rubbing issues it is going to be with the frame horns or the fender lining. A lift won't help.. you still have to articulate up into the wheel wells and have things work! IMO it is harder on your IFS to run lifted all the time anyway. harder on the CVs, harder on the air struts.

If you must do it for the look, that is one thing, but also consider the stress on the parts. Also, if you really are off roading in a serious way and need the size.. you also are screwed if you have a bad EAS fault or air failure and get stuck on your bump stops.

The _Just

Reaction score
If you have any rubbing issues it is going to be with the frame horns or the fender lining. A lift won't help.. you still have to articulate up into the wheel wells and have things work! IMO it is harder on your IFS to run lifted all the time anyway. harder on the CVs, harder on the air struts.

If you must do it for the look, that is one thing, but also consider the stress on the parts. Also, if you really are off roading in a serious way and need the size.. you also are screwed if you have a bad EAS fault or air failure and get stuck on your bump stops.
Totally agree!

In my mind, if I take a balloon, fill it half way, sit on it, it's hard to pop. If you take a balloon and fill it to its limit, sit on it, it's gonna pop. I suspect those are some of the same effects the air bags experience. With such a tight tire fit, If you loose a corner on the trail, it's gonna be a bad day, even if you can replace a bag in the field.

I thought there would be more people recommending a solid 2" body lift. I can hardly find any info on lifting other than using rods. I think I've only found 1 company that makes them. Still hoping to see others experience with them.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I thought there would be more people recommending a solid 2" body lift. I can hardly find any info on lifting other than using rods. I think I've only found 1 company that makes them. Still hoping to see others experience with them.

IID Tool. There's a lot of threads on the forum about it. You're not getting much feedback on rods because most LR owners here do not use them. There's a handful, sure.. but most are using IID Tool for off-road use and standard height the rest of the time. 265/65/18 is the common choice for tire size.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72