LR4 Low profile crossbars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timchilcott

Reaction score
I have a really short garage. I'm looking for a low profile cross bar to go on my long factory rails. Any ideas? I can't seem to find anything that doesn't have a huge riser.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The basic Thule square cross bars are lower than the OEM cross bars. You attach a fit kit to the roof rails then screw-on the cross bars so removal is pretty quick as well.

However, there is an issue with the basic fit kit. It was designed to fit both Land Rover and Hummer roof rails. The rectangular piece that slides into the roof rail is too narrow in one direction so that only 2 corners grab when tightened. But it is too wide to slide-in so that all 4 corners grab. I called Thule and they said that just 2 corners making contact is fine. But with thousands of dollars of ski equipment or mountain bikes on top, I ground down the pieces by about 1/8" so that they fit perfectly inside the rails. If you do a search in the LR3 forum you can probably find this topic.

Now that Hummer is gone, maybe Thule corrected the size to better fit our roof rails.

pat955

Reaction score
Access height, and you can lower it additionally if you have an iddtool.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Sorry, the link I provided was for reducing roof rack rails, not simple cross bars...I'll keep it below in case anyone else needs it down the road...

http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/baja-megamule-low-garage-and-skis.28808/#post-172387

Sorry dont mean to threadjack, but Catman, you have the link to how to reduce the full-length roof rails to short roof rails? OEMs? Mine came with the long roof rails installed from the factory and I really dislike the look of it, I thought that the long ones required drilling holes into the body and thats why I could not go back to the short roof rails. If there was a way to do it, I'd love to know.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72