LR4 Not Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:help:Look through and couldn't find any previous posts on LR4. This is pretty bizare, wife tells me her car (2012 LR4 23K miles) wont start, battery dead. I go to check it and battery seems fine, all things power up no problem. Try jumping it with my other car, nothing.

I see an ABS failure on the dash, she just came home a few hours ago, all was fine, no issues, parked in garage, and now all I get is a click. what I have done so far:
Check battery under load,
Try jumping
Check all ABS fuses
Check all codes
Disconnected battery for 10 mins, reconnected, same response

There are no codes stored, its clean. Used 2 devices to check codes and nothing. There is full power on the car and dash, everything works, but will not start, loud clicks like the starter motor is locked.

Also, see a blinking low range light a few times.

Under warranty, so will call dealer when I get done with business, but wanted to ask if there are any thoughts.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a page in the manual about what to do if the vehicle does not start. Try that first, although all the extra points you made about ABS failure and blinking low range makes me think the procedure in the manual might not work for you. Worth a try, though.

Also, if you notice the brake pedal getting extremely stiff, yet the start button does not turnover the vehicle, then press harder down on the brake pedal with harder than normal force and the start should ignite (assuming the procedure will start your vehicle regardless of the ABS and blinking low range).

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does sound like a new battery is in need... even a low battery may seem like it'll work but it won't. I'm not an electrical engineer but I'm sure someone on this board will chime in with a better articulation.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed it. I did try all other basics from manual. So I called LR road assistance. Took a while for them to show, but since I was sitting at home no big deal. So here is the kicker. He shows up in a Prius, a P. R. I. U. S. Not kidding. So I ask, can you jump me with that little car? He laughs, then it hits me, he has a giant freaking battery, half his car weight IS battery. He brings out cables, and the LR started right up. Left it running for a while to recharge.

What kills me is, I try jumping it from my VW, and got nothing. The dashboard was lit like a Christmas tree, but no turn. So not sure what I did wrong, or if by resetting the battery I erased whatever error was there. My code readers showed no codes stored.

Will see if battery is low tomorrow morn. If so, then new battery. Wondering if can get a higher power battery for it. This was a common problem with new Honda odyssey batteries too, you had to change them at 18 months, and after 3 of those vans I always got a higher CCA battery and would last 4 years.

So I will claim to have had a "low voltage problem" for now. Hope it's that simple

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had two battery issues on my 2010. The first happened after being parked at the airport for a week. It was during the summer and the heat was hitting over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Dealership replaced the battery. The second time happened after my wife sat in the car while it was turned off. The key was in the truck with her but she never turned it on. Somehow the key and car were trying to communicate and it drained the battery. A guy jumped us and we were set.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely need a new battery... Don't risk getting stuck again. Once the battery is in this state there's nothing you can do to recover it. Also, jumper cable gauge is the biggest key when jumping... I think mine are 4 or 6... But a good set is important. Should always have one handy in the back.

Last edited:

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Confirmed, battery dead again this morning. This time I was able to jump on the first try with my VW parked in the garage. So to the dealer we go... How much is a new battery? Need to assess if going to dealer is worth it, since I will waste a few hours doing that. And the cables will be permanent on the back of the truck now, just like the minivan....

Luckily I have a car addiction problem, so my wife can drive another as long as the kids are not out.

Thanks all.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question with anyone with battery replacement experience on these beasts, I can get a Duragold battery for $130. I have used that brand many times in Japanese, German, and American cars, always been a great experience and never let me down.

Going to the dealer for a few hours (oil change took 2 days there), wasted, is not worth $130 and the 15 mins it takes to replace. Are LR4's or Landis finicky about what battery they use? Don't want to screw up any "British electronics" by replacing wrong brand. Thanks again.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong, but battery should be under warranty - either LR or manufacturers (most have 5 year warranty).....you should't have to pay a dime.