LR4 Offroad Performance WITHOUT Heavey Duty Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LLLR4

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just purchased a 2016 LR4 Landmark a month ago for my wife. She had particular "requirements" on exterior and interior colors. So with Yulong White and Tan, there were just not many Landmark editions out there at the time and none had Heavy Duty package which includes 2-speed transfer case, locking rear diff, and a full size spare tire.

The salesman said HD is only for towing big boat or "extreme" off roading such as rock crawling. We thought taking a Landmark edition to rock crawling may never happen, so no HD was fine.

However, after reading a few threads and forums, I went crazy. It seems that an LR4 without the HD package is just like another AWD SUV. Then what is the f*** point to buy a Land Rover? So we were just wondering what type of off roading you can do without the HD package. I wish LR at least had included a 2-speed transfer case as standard and I can live without the locking rear diff. Well, it is what it is.

Anyone has done off roading without the HD package? What's your experience? Really appreciate it!

Thanks a bunch!!!

LLLR4

Reaction score
No response? I guess people on this forum are 99% off road adventures and would not have purchased an LR with single speed transfer case. Well, I'll have to give it try sometime to see how it performs under different situations, except rock crawling. With the 20" wheels and street tires, I doubt LR's capability for rock crawling will be comprised even with the HD package.

Perseus

Reaction score
It was mandatory that my new LR4 include the HD package especially because of the 2 speed transfer box. Torque bias btw front and rear is different for HD and non HD trucks. Don't quote me but it's something like (50/50) for HD trucks vs (30/70) for non HD trucks

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Off road" can be many things. I'm not sure where you live or what type of "off pavement" driving you would be considering. IF you are in the west, then you can certainly handle most forest service roads and a lot of back roads. If you decide to go exploring I would suggest books like the Funtreks books. They have a website. On that website you can see images of the trails listed in the book. Looking at the book for your state (CO, AZ, UT or CA) look for the "green" or "easy" trails. You should be able to handle all of those without the HD package and some are great trails. There are other ratings systems for example those that rate trails 1-10 with 10 being extremely difficult. I would suggest that you'll be fine with ratings of 1-2 and possibly 3.

Low range is very useful for rock crawling where you need more fine grained control going up and over rocks, ledges, etc. The other area where low range is a benefit and where I use it the most is steep ascents or descents. For steep, slippery descents and with a full time 4WD you should always go to your lowest gear and use engine compression to help prevent brake lock up. Low range gives you much better engine compression due to the gear ratios. Using S1 without low range can work provided the slope isn't too steep. If its very steep then I don't find S1 to provide as much resistance as I would like.

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we picked up our Landmark earlier this year, I lamented about not having the HD package. We had it in our 2010 and also had it in our full size RR. We honestly fell in love wit the truck and I forgot to even check about the HD package. However we did an LR experience at the Biltmore in Asheville over the summer and really got to take a new LR4 through it's paces and specifically did not take the transfer case into low. I wanted to reassure myself that "it would be ok" without the HD package - LOL. After those couple hours on the trails, I was quite happy that we got what seems to be a rare Zanzibar rather than waiting for something to come up with the HD package.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A perspective from Colorado and someone who has owned Jeep J10, Scouts a D1 and wheeled many trails. I can't imagine wheelin a 6000# truck without low range unless all your exploring is forest service roads and mild trail work. in addition its not always "rock" crawlin that demands low range. Weight does matter that is better managed with xfer case low range and hd axle. HD package was a minimum for our LR4. I have used low range and run trails that resulted in locked rear dif. Then again iff your planned use of the vehicle is mild then you will be OK.

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here done or seen an apples-to-apples comparison of an LR4 on anything technical with and then without low range engaged? I appreciate the advantage on steep descents and for serious crawling, but would a competent driver be able to handle mild technical terrain w/o the low range? Something like this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...g5A4cGhyINPniOwM_kaVMA&bvm=bv.137132246,d.amc

I have an email out to the organizer of the event for additional feedback and will report back here.

Paxton407

Reaction score
Unfortunately my 2016.5 LR4 HSE Silver does not have the HD package either. To get the one I wanted (Santorini black, black interior, black package) I had to give up the HD package and tow packages. It was a very rare / difficult vehicle to find at this juncture (purchased in august).

That being said, I've had great success with it thus far. The truck is still more than capable (moreso than most anything else otu there), especially with some good tires, and it should satisfy most casual off-roaders needs. There are a number of steps you can take to compensate for lack of low range gears. For example, for steep descents you put the truck in sport, paddle shift into S1 for engine breaking, and use HDC. Works like a charm. I haven't managed to get mine stuck yet. I plan to put it to the test here soon. I'll post some pics and a recap and let you know how well it runs through the paces.

If you're looking at extreme rock crawling or heavy mud ruts on a regular basis, there is no substitute for HD package though. And if you're thinking maybe you can get the HD package retrofitted after purchase, you can't. Not without $10k+ investment. It has to be fitted at the factory.

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Realistically for me, it will probably never see anything seriously challenging. If I need a winch, I probably won't be out there in my vehicle.

I heard back from the manager at Land Rover LakeSide (in case you need it: http://www.landroverlakeside.com) and he said that they do Bundy Hills without the H/D package. Good to know!

And I found an LR4 I want with everything except the tow package which can be added later. Hopefully I will be reporting back soon as a new owner!

Paxton407

Reaction score
Just be careful going Lux over HSE Silver or Landmark. You'll get way more options fitted on an HSE Silver/Landmark for LESS money and better financing options. Good luck to you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut