LR4 Parking brake manual release

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good post.

I too was curious so I went looking, I couldn't find anything in the 2014/2015 owner's manual? Maybe I overlooked it?

Here's the 2014 / 2015 LR4 version. Just need to pull out the cup holder held down by clips, there will be no secondary cover.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 26, 1 11 47 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 26, 1 11 47 PM.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 201

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised if Land Rover had abandoned the proven metal cable design in favor of a nylon strap. As long as it works... I guess it makes it a bit easier and painless to pull it. Anyway, for the majority of us with the cable and pull ring under the secondary cover, you can use the scissors jack's handle (the one with a hook at the end), in combination with the screwdriver's shaft to act as a lever, to pull up that cable with about 45 lb.ft of force to manually release the park brake. To re-engage the park brake should you ever need to release it this way, you will need to apply the electronic park brake twice, the first time to reconnect the pawl of the spline shaft to the spigot you disconnected it manually from, the second time to actually engage the park brake again.

Unfortunately these instructions don't appear in the Owner's Manual, only in the shop manuals. It's a stupid decision IMHO. If you are stranded somewhere with the park brake engaged and no way to release it electrically for whatever reason (dead battery, short, system malfunction, etc.), and you are unfamiliar with this manual emergency release procedure, don't expect the tow truck driver to figure it out for you. You may have a serious problem then.

Last edited:

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I should add my recent findings to clarify my earlier reply. Found this bitty here...

They didn't get rid of that parking brake release cable, its still past the metal cover under the cup holder. Pulling the red strap puts the transmission into neutral. The brake symbol near the strap is to make sure you are applying the brake when pulling the transmission release. hah

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This manual release helps after going through a lot of mud and treading thick clay ruts. I've experienced the parking brake getting stuck (as well as it not being able to engage) and then it causes all sorts of terrain response issues and throws warnings.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This manual release helps after going through a lot of mud and treading thick clay ruts. I've experienced the parking brake getting stuck (as well as it not being able to engage) and then it causes all sorts of terrain response issues and throws warnings.

Mine gets stuck if I park it after driving through water (like hard rain on the way home) and let it sit for a few days. I assume it's the parking shoes getting rusted in place and the electric motor not being strong enough to pull them away. I'll try the manual release next time to disconnect the motor and give it a bump back and forth to knock the shoes loose and see if that works better.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My parking brake system just went faulty last night and this thread saved me! This thread should be a sticky. I couldnt believe LR didn't put this in the owners manual...

handels

Reaction score
I wish I had seen this thread before. Mine went bad and I had to get the LR4 towed on rollers. The shop tried to pull the cable from under the cup holder but that didn't work. Did they miss a step? Does the vehicle need to be in neutral? Does my foot need to be on the brake? And does the cable require 45lb of force? Maybe pulling by finger can't apply 45lbs of force so would need to use a tool? Thanks for clarifying. I've not been using my parking brake recently because I'm afraid to get stuck again.

DAVER

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
not sure if anyone still reads this page but thought I would try, I can seem to release my brake at all, recently purchased RR sport 2009, brake applied a couple of times, then next time screeched really bad but dissengaged, now its engaged again and wont dissengage at all? even the manual release doesnt work - pulled the cable as hard as I can with my finger then with a able tie attached which snapped, brake engaged , engine running, neutral selected but still wouldnt release! It is indicating a brake error now and flashing brake symbol on the screen but I wouldnt think that should stop the emergency working. Is it possible the pads are now stuck in which case I wont even be able to remve the hubs? help

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA