LR4 Replacments...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are not marrying these things until death do you part... Which vehicles are you considering as a replacement?

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have 3 in mind.

- New Defender (we shall see...)
- G-Wag
- Refurb Defender from ECD (East Coast Defender)

--- If Toyota can get their **** together and stop making "trendy" plastic fantastics and get back to a utilitarian looking vehicle...then maybe a toyota. I did hear from a toyota rep at the last overland expo east that the 4runner will be getting full independent suspension by 2025...so that may be an option...

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
raptor. Powerwagon. New Defender. AEV Wrangler or Prospector. Don't love the D5 looks. Don't love it's tiny sidewalls.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned 12 or so new vehicles in the last 12 yrs. One was $100k and most were over $60k. I'll probably never do that again though. I will most likely buy used 3-5 yrs old for flatter depreciation curve/value ratio and look to models/designs I really like even if they need heavy modifications. Some examples, I really dig the huge Ford Excursion in diesel from 15 yrs ago. They can be turned into whatever you can dream up. Same goes for the Ford vans up until the diesels ended.

I like G wagens also so I could see going with a 2005, 2008, 2013 AMG earlier and standard 550 later, esp if a few yrs from now the turbo 550 models are down into the 50-70's though that would take a market downturn too.

There's nothing wrong with a Land Cruiser 200 series. It's the best value in my opinion for build quality, size, capability, reliability and low maintenance.

I have to admit that while all of my Land Rovers have been 99% "reliable", they have been seriously maintenance heavy costing far more than even the Audi over 10 yrs. So, people go on about LR being unreliable, that's bullsh1t. They are expensive to maintain though.

I also often like the idea of a truck but usually then realize a van or larger suv are still more my style.

aztris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ thought I recognized your name from my Audizine days. Too funny.

Just picked up an LR4 for my gf yesterday. I can imagine swapping it out for a 2014+ RR sport in a couple years. Need to have some fun with this first though.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are guys in Colchester VT that rebuild/restore LRs.
Wouldn’t that be a solution if you want to keep your LR4 “forever”?

Frank

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe new Defender.
G-500
Maybe new Bronco
200 series lc
Tacoma/4Runner TRD Pro
ZR2
Rubicon - I had a Wrangler Unlimited before my LR4, and it seems like Jeep addressed all the issues with it in the new JL, except the other owners.

I've been all over the place with what I want to do.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comical coincidence seeing you here... I remember you back from the B7 days. Greetings.

Still have that 08 S4 avant I bought new and it's also only up to 90k miles or so. Not bad for a 10 yr old car and it still smells newish with a flawless interior.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest, your 08 S4 will last another 10 years/90K miles. I sold my 06 S4 avant 6MT with 216K miles and it was still running strong. I still miss it and should have bought an 08 before Audi discontinued bringing them into the US)

(Probably why I bought a second 2013 LR4 once I heard the V8 was being discontinued)

Not going to replace either LR4 for a while but I am going to add a VW alltrack to our motor pool. Our daughters start driving soon and need something smaller to learn how to drive plus I want them to have newer safety features like automatic braking.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut