LR4 Replacments...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price on the G-Wagons is steep ... To be honest, though, my only reservation with them is their height, which I believe is even taller than an LR4 when stock. As it is, I have to lower my LR4 to just barely fit into my parking garage at work. If I got something taller, I'd have to park in a different garage and walk.

The off-road tank part is what's so appealing to me. If I didn't care about off-road ability, I'd buy an E-Class.
If your primary use is off-road, the G might be a good fit for your needs. There aren't many vehicles in this class with 3 separate, fully-locking diffs. I can't remember if any of them offer air suspension, if you want variable ride height like the LR4. IIRC... they might all have steel spring suspension.

As mentioned in the thread I linked to, where the G becomes questionable is if the primary use will be on pavement, especially as a daily driver. That's where the GL makes more sense, as it's still decent off-road, just not to the same level as the G (or LR).

:cool:

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything worthwhile to add to this thread because having 172,000 miles on my 2010 and the enjoyment I have driving it; I'm married to my LR4. But I'm enjoying reading the discussion!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything worthwhile to add to this thread because having 172,000 miles on my 2010 and the enjoyment I have driving it; I'm married to my LR4. But I'm enjoying reading the discussion!

My main reservation is my continued fear of the timing chain guide issue after my warranty expiration date (this December).

Have you ever had any issues with yours? If not, what's your oil change interval look like?

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your primary use is off-road, the G might be a good fit for your needs. There aren't many vehicles in this class with 3 separate, fully-locking diffs. I can't remember if any of them offer air suspension, if you want variable ride height like the LR4. IIRC... they might all have steel spring suspension.

As mentioned in the thread I linked to, where the G becomes questionable is if the primary use will be on pavement, especially as a daily driver. That's where the GL makes more sense, as it's still decent off-road, just not to the same level as the G (or LR).

:cool:
I love the G-Wag --- But...I am also in love with the fancy dancy traction control functionality that the land rover terrain response offers. The G-Wag, even with the 3 lockers, is still a very manual, beastly, vehicle. Much Like an old defender or old jeep. That is why I am really wanting to see what the new defender offers. Plus...with 35" tires on a G-Wag, I would have a tough time getting it into my garage...whereas the new defender will most likely have air suspension and I can lower it to get it in there. Man...I really am hoping the new defender is an LR4 reincarnated.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that I'm fortunate because I haven't had any issues with mine other than regular maintenance items that break or wear out. I have stayed on top of the oil changes though and change it "around" 3,500 to 4,000 miles, but historically I've done that with any of my vehicles. I think that it's just cheap insurance to keep the engine healthy.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My main reservation is my continued fear of the timing chain guide issue after my warranty expiration date (this December).

Have you ever had any issues with yours? If not, what's your oil change interval look like?

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess that I'm fortunate because I haven't had any issues with mine other than regular maintenance items that break or wear out. I have stayed on top of the oil changes though and change it "around" 3,500 to 4,000 miles, but historically I've done that with any of my vehicles. I think that it's just cheap insurance to keep the engine healthy.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That seems to support the theory that the timing chain guide issues come virtue of LR's 15,000 mile recommended oil change interval.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

We're twins! I hit 172K miles exactly yesterday (although mine is a 2013.) 200K miles will come a lot quicker for me than most of you out there - in about 11-12 months, give or take - and that's when I normally start shopping around for a replacement. Alas, I don't think a new Defender will be available by that time, even if Land Rover does the unthinkable and makes it at least "look" like a Defender... I'd be happy if they fixed the ugly butt of the Discovery next year, personally. The remaining 3/4 of the car I don't mind as much as some of you. I just can't get past that horrendously disproportionate rear end.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Umberto,

Congratulations on your 172K miles.
Out 2013 is just shy of 54,000 I had less issues with it then with my 2014 audi S4.
Since we have almost the same set up on our trucks I have a question for you.
Do you keep your skid plates all the time or you take them off ( fuel tank) when not off roading. With my off roaring and all extra weight during daily driving I am replacing lower control arm bushing every 24,000 miles.
Back to the thread and LR replacement options.
I love G wagon but it is out of my price range.
I am glad we do not have to replace our LR4 yet. There is nothing right now .On the market which would combine luxury and real off roaring ability like LR4 except Disco 5. New disco is actually a good value comparing to other cars , SUVs but about $10,000 more comparing to new LR4 back in 2013.
I just do not like a look of Disco 5. It is like all other SUVs.
If something happened to my LR4 today and I had to get a new car tomorrow to replace it I would be looking at those
× Disco 5 - even I do not like how it looks like it is still a great SUV for off roading
× New 2018 Jeep Wrangled Rubicon 4 door - my favorite.
x Toyota 4 Runner TRD off road

If I did not plan off roading then .I would be fine with range rover sport or velar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA