LR4 Transmission Fluid Change: Pan Swap Option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have 174,000km which is about 110,000 miles. I bought when it was 168000km. So far i've done lower control arm bushings, tranny drain & fill which i just did yesterday, Oil and filter change, front rotors & pads , cleaned the trottle body and cleaned both mass flow sensors cause it was idling a little rough. My next task is power steering flush and spark plugs.

The tranny fluid was quite dark which i wasn't surprised for a car over 100k miles, I plan to do another drain and fill in the next 6 to 8 weeks to get more new fluid in there. But believe it or not the tranny still feels solid and now the gear changes are completely seamless after i changed the fluid.

IMG_0313[1].JPG

IMG_0310[1].JPG

Saltyfly

Reaction score
I'm about 500 miles on the new pan and filter, and I'm still grinning. Smooth as silk. Did I mention that I changed ALL of my drivetrain fluids (diffs, TC, and tranny) for $257.48? :biggrin:

Mike

Pfunk951, what kind of fluids did you use for your diff’s and TC? Also, what kind of filling pump/system are you using?

Also, thank you for the very valuable info!

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally changed mine at 65k oil didn't look too bad did old school pan and filter together PITA. Bought this conversion kit for my next change because I would never do it the other way again.

Ended up selling my LR4 but before I did I just flushed the fluid 88k and it was dirtier than I remembered, a lot of towing in that 20k, just something to consider.

I have an extra conversion kit pan/filter new in box. Britpart DA2142 I'll ship to you for $80 total. I think still about $125 online. Message me if interested.

I used febi fluids throughout

Jomcool

Reaction score
Has anyone performed this procedure on the 2014-on ZF8HP70 8-speed trans? I’m at 75K miles and am planning to give it a go once parts are back in stock. Every place I’ve tried is out of stock. Somebody must be busy at it.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Febi fluid, I've got about 9k on the truck since the fluid change and zero problems noted. I'm thinking at 90k I will drain/refill again, as I only did it once during the procedure (there is still old fluid in there as you don't get it all out).

For a pump, I used one from the local parts store, it looks like this:

pump.jpg

Try not to buy one that is excessively cheap.. I have bought many in my days, and when the pump starts leaking/falling apart/spraying fluid all over you while your cheek is 3" away from a hot exhaust pipe, your patience will be... tested..

Mike

Saltyfly

Reaction score
Thank you!

Just wanted to make sure I didn’t need the expensive one AB sells for some reason!

My LR4 has 66k miles, and it’s staring to feel a little clunky/rough on shifts, no slipping that I can tell though, so I’m going to do this soon.

I would also like to flush the tranny once or twice before I change the pan as well. Should I bite the bullet and do this with the Febi fluid, or is there something cheaper I can do the flush with? Any recommendations on how many miles I should put on it between flushes?

Can you provide a link (or product name/number) to the exact diff & TC fluid you used? I looked on the link you provided for the ATF, and it looks like there are multiple options.

Thank you!

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently did this pan swap and service on my LR4 at 76K miles. I've done it on the LR3 earlier this year.

I too use 4 car ramps and leave the truck in access height.

Unfortunately the britpart pan I initially received had a stress fracture by the drain neck in it, that I did not notice until after doing the complete service and realizing that the pan was leaking a few drops every minute after completing the work. Apparently this a known issue with the pans themselves and AB sent me a new pan, filter and fluid. Which meant I had a chance to do the service twice.

At 76K, my fluid was quite dark but I also tow and use the truck offroad. The refill took almost 7 quarts.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an extra conversion kit pan/filter new in box. Britpart DA2142 I'll ship to you for $80 total. I think still about $125 online. Message me if interested.
stufrowin, if nobody else has taken it yet, I'd be interested in the conversion kit. I need to change the fluid / filter on our LR4 in the near future. I can't find any "private message" links on this forum, am I missing something? You can email me at qship1 at gmail if you'd like. Thanks!

:****:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi