LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, CVT sucks in those? And yeah boring design for sure. But great tech as far as engine and AWD system. AWD system better than any competing wagon in that class imho. Looking at their site, the interior with dual tone beige/black combination looks nice.

I'm just not a fan of CVT's. But Subaru sales are booming so it's probably fine for most. You're right, their full-time AWD system is excellent, especially as others are moving to part time systems. (Audi "quattro ultra") 3.6 engine in the Outback drives really nice, and interiors improve with the high-end models. When my daughter starts driving next year, there will probably be a used Subaru in my driveway.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For someone like me who typically gets rid of vehicles around the 75k range, I am hoping the defender will be nice...
I also have hopes for the new Def, it’s nice to have a fallback option… But in principle, I am planning to hold on to my D4 as long as I live, or at least until retirement. With good servicing, it should be able to offer no less than 20 years’ of reliable service, should it not? What with all the D3s still running strong these days… Haven’t heard of anyone scrapping them, have they?

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know Audi is a luxury brand and that there is no comparison to the brand I am about to mention, but still what do you think about Subaru, its boxer engine tech and Symmetrical AWD, etc.

I know they lack in design (off the record and privately admitted by one of their representatives at the LA auto show), but I personally think if they improved in that area, its not a bad car and value for rain/snow storms etc. At the auto show I got the impression that they are a growing company and seemed to care about what the potential buyer thinks.

My wife has a 2017 Forrester for her company car. I'm so impressed with the off-road capabilities, I thrash that thing in the sand while engaging "x mode" and have had no problems....it's difficult to get stuck. It really is very capable little car

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally saw the new Discovery in the dealership today. Have to say, after all the hype and long looks at the glossy online build brochure... it looked very ordinary. I have no doubt the electronics (driver assistance, crazy adapting headlights, heads-up display, cameras galore, etc.) will be very cool, but it didn't have that "wow" presence as when I first saw the new LR4, for instance.

The tailgate butt bench was much more sturdy then I expected, but was a slow deployment and fold-up. Would be annoying for people to have to search for the button to bring it down or push it down manually (with a bit of force). Hopefully there is a setting to make that deploy any time the back is opened.

On the upside, very solid feeling car, as expected. Definitely the heavy solid doors that we're used to. Much different than I expect the look-alike Explorer is when you open and close their doors.

Probably not saying anything new, but after much speculation, was nice to finally have a peek at it.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture from Land Rover promotion right before the Velar was unveiled.

The Velar wound up looking pretty close to the image. It's not too big a stretch to foresee the Defender will do the same.

Land Rover most likely believes there's only room in their lineup for one boxy, utilitarian-themed vehicle, and the Defender will be it. To make room for the Defender, they had to soften the Discovery into more of an "in-between" for a family hauler that can get dirty on the weekends.

19055727_798872696953693_7319602482543652694_o.jpg

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally saw and test drove the LR5/Discovery at the dealer and still very glad to have my old boxy LR4. The technology is infinite better than the LR4 but as a 2017 model, it is pretty standard compared to other cars in this price range. The powerseats in the rear is not impressive at all and much slower than the old DIY version. The interior quality is what you expect from Land Rover which is excellent. I love all the storage it has - you can hold 2 drinks AND your phone without resorting to "hide" things in the storage console.

I find darker colors much more appealing than lighter color for this car and the Black Pack option is a must. However, the styling makes ZERO connection to the heritage of Land Rover nor its capability. Just another shiny SUV on the road.

In summary - bleh.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all wondered who is going to buy the new Discovery. Another LR forum already has a dedicated Discovery 5 forum and it appears Touareg diesel owners are ordering the Discovery with the TD6. They loved their Touareg diesels but they are all getting up in mileage. Apparently the Discovery TD6 is one of the few diesel SUVs available now that VW, Audi & Jeep stopped selling them.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rover most likely believes there's only room in their lineup for one boxy, utilitarian-themed vehicle, and the Defender will be it. To make room for the Defender, they had to soften the Discovery into more of an "in-between" for a family hauler that can get dirty on the weekends.

I agree with you 100% here. I think that was exactly the point of making the Discovery a more run of the mill "softer" looking SUV. I see the LR Defender trying to take a piece of the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon market...I just looked at their site and some Rubicon models START AT $43,000 and after options can make their way into the $50k range!!! FOR A JEEP....wow. I would guess the new defender would start at $50k-$60k and probably top out around $80 (some think less, but who knows, I see it going up) --- So...do you think the defender will have solid axles or move to an independent suspension like the discovery? Hmmm...

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have hopes for the new Def, it’s nice to have a fallback option… But in principle, I am planning to hold on to my D4 as long as I live, or at least until retirement. With good servicing, it should be able to offer no less than 20 years’ of reliable service, should it not? What with all the D3s still running strong these days… Haven’t heard of anyone scrapping them, have they?

Yeah, I can see a properly kept LR4 lasting a while, the only thing I am uncertain of is the electronics in the vehicle, we don't know how well those will work 20 years from now. I am hoping the LR4 will see the same uptick that the Range Rover classics have seen in the past couple years. Restored 1990's Range Rovers Classics in good condition with 180+k miles are selling for $20k+!!! There was a beautifully restored one on www.congletonservice.com for $39,750!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV