LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and one more perspective. There were still a good number of LR4s in the lot at the Denver dealership when I drove by yesterday. I'm not sure what models but they are there.

Furthermore (and this is sad, very sad) I had to take care of some business at the Toyota dealership where I traded in my gorgeous, bronze 2014 LR4 with ladder and Voyager sliders and two-tone interior and... It's still sitting on their lot! What? They could sell that in 2 months of trying? What is wrong with people these days? ;-)

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. Very sad. It's sitting at $39,993 asking price. Good looking LR4 indeed !!
Maybe they should ask 39,99(4) it might move off the lot ha-ha.

DWarner

Reaction score
We will certainly see what the final product looks like, however they could have "updated" the model with all the stuff you feel is necessary at the given price point without losing it's uniqueness.

The only thing missing is the larger seating capacity.

Longhorn...Agreed. They could have. And I wish that's the route they chose, but it looks like they're going the lemming route. Sometimes it's just easier to follow the crowd...

Have we heard if it's a 7 or 8 seater yet?

As for the "typical" LR4 driver, in our area (south Denver) it is very rare to see a late model LR4 that is used off road. I would continually get comments at the dealership, and elsewhere, something like, "Wow, its so cool to see you actually using your LR4 for what it was designed." And most of the drivers are women though it feels more like 60-40. The Land Rovers that are taken off road tend are nearly always used and often LR3s or Discoverys or earlier model RR.

I had noticed that LR is certainly not alone with the flattened, more "aerodynamic" body style. I noticed yesterday that the Honda Passport, which used to be boxy, is almost indistinguishable in the new, rounder, flattened body style. When I bought my 2014 Acura MDX it was definitely lower and sleeker. They even dropped the ground clearance by an inch. And they sell like hotcakes around here. And, BTW, there are a lot of Ford Explorers around here as well. Even my 2016 Land Cruiser feels a bit lower. So what LR is doing is pretty much consistent with the trend of the past few years.

Then, as I am sitting in Starbucks right now, this just drove past me in the drive through lane. Yep, orange accents everywhere.

View attachment 6519

Oh, and one more perspective. There were still a good number of LR4s in the lot at the Denver dealership when I drove by yesterday. I'm not sure what models but they are there.

Furthermore (and this is sad, very sad) I had to take care of some business at the Toyota dealership where I traded in my gorgeous, bronze 2014 LR4 with ladder and Voyager sliders and two-tone interior and... It's still sitting on their lot! What? They could sell that in 2 months of trying? What is wrong with people these days? ;-)

Hey Dan...It is cool that you get out into the world with your truck. If I lived in Colorado I might be compelled to do the same. Fantastic state...We try to get out there as often as possible...

I think you're hitting it on the head. They're all going for the vehicle that does well in the wind tunnel tests. Bunch of lemmings! What's wrong with boxy?

Perhaps the Green Movement is finally starting to have an effect on auto-design and engineering. I'm a big Euro car guy and we're seeing it in that industry as well. Marquees are eschewing V8's for 6 cylinder turbo powered engines and replacing stale V6's with efficient and high horsepower producing 4 cylinders to many peoples chagrin.

What's ironic to me is that it seems like many auto makers are turning their backs on design techniques that have been tried and true throughout the decades. Some of the most iconic cars in the brands history by several manufacturers were boxy examples...

VW- Golf is the icon of drivers cars and was boxy.
Benz- 500S- the ones they all copied were the boxy models...
Benz trucks- G Wagon- Still clamored over on every continent. Super high priced box.
BMW- e30 3-series- Put BMW on the map with a boxy, fun to drive car...
Honda- The 1st generation Accord- Best seller 7 straight years...Boxy...
Nissan- 1st generation Maxima- Classic boxy shape in sedan or wagon. First high quality family car Datsun produced...

The list can likely go on and on...

But it is what it is. Like they say, nothings permanent in life, all except for change...

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, here's hoping for a new Defender to fit the market segment being abandoned.

and

2446d1817b1dbf244aae7249fa8f1613.jpg

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. Your handle is "Longhorn" and yet you post a Michigan pic? Seems a bit conflicted to me. At least your handle isn't OHIO. ;-)

As for the Defender, it will be interesting to see what they come out with.

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. Your handle is "Longhorn" and yet you post a Michigan pic? Seems a bit conflicted to me. At least your handle isn't OHIO. ;-)

As for the Defender, it will be interesting to see what they come out with.

No conflict on my part LOL. My last bike was a Harley CVO "custom vehicle operations" Ultra Classic and there's an annual tradition of naming each available color. The color scheme I had made the outer faring look like a Texas Longhorn, so I suggested Longhorn as the name of the 2008 Copper Canyon/Silver Stardust version. It won the contest over names like "Screaming Nemo". When I joined here, my normal handle is LabRat was taken so I had to come up with something and Longhorn popped into my head first.

IMG_1944.jpg

DWarner

Reaction score
Well, here's hoping for a new Defender to fit the market segment being abandoned.

and

2446d1817b1dbf244aae7249fa8f1613.jpg

I like it...Big 10 family. And another great state. More trees than I ever imagined... We camped at a real secluded campground at Warren Dunes and enjoyed the view of Lake Michigan on our first night with our new pop-up back in 2012. Actually have a Michigan decal on the back of the camper, so no hard feelings here!

Elinders

Reaction score
I like it...Big 10 family. And another great state. More trees than I ever imagined... We camped at a real secluded campground at Warren Dunes and enjoyed the view of Lake Michigan on our first night with our new pop-up back in 2012. Actually have a Michigan decal on the back of the camper, so no hard feelings here!

Warren Dunes! I was just there for 3 weeks, it's beautiful! My wife's family has a place a mile south of Warren Dunes in a little beach community. Love the lake, we go out every summer from NY, Labor Day is perfect out there. 770 miles each way with a toddler, a 5 month old and a 70lb golden haha. LR4 eats up the miles like a champ though and I don't know if we would fit as comfortably in the new one as we do in ours (wanted to tie my post into the thread a little bit).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut