LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Article from the Telegraph UK, with a couple of interesting videos included: a short off-road test drive (impressive articulation and smooth sailing despite the completely useless "racing slick" low profile tires fitted on that test mule - but without a low range you'd be screwed) and a short interview with the Chief Engineer about the "new" tailgate and wading depth tests Land Rover performed on this car - that you hopefully will never duplicate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/lan...-rover-discovery-driven-ultimate-4x4-returns/

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, interesting article. Here and there, I see crazy high MPG estimates. The telegraph says 39.2 mpg. Where do you suppose that comes from, because there's no way it's right.
edit, even if it's an imperial gallon it would be 32.7 mpg U.S. which still seems high

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here and there, I see crazy high MPG estimates. The telegraph says 39.2 mpg. Where do you suppose that comes from, because there's no way it's right.
edit, even if it's an imperial gallon it would be 32.7 mpg U.S. which still seems high
Was there an asterisk next to it? They may have meant to type

* - 39.2mpg measured in a downhill run with a rocket attached to the roof. :D

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone else who has actually seen the vehicle confirm that the rear seats all fold completely flat? I've now see a few pictures with that 2nd row angled up a bit ("near flat" is not FLAT).

I believe umberbob said there are two collapse settings, one to bring it down, and one to scrunch it flat. I guess I really just want to makes sure that is the case. So much has changed in this vehicle over the LR3/LR4...

trans++gsaO8O78rhmZrDxTlQBjdO0Jyi0jPPD6Zx1hiwTPhlc.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All display models currently at shows and test mules being driven by the press out there are pre-production units, so who knows if there will be more changes in the final production batch that's going to start around April of next year. The picture above is consistent with what I witnessed at the L.A. Show though, it depicts the default "fold" position with the 2nd row partially folded (to minimize compression on the leather seats, I assume.) If you firmly push the 2nd row fold button one more time, the 2nd row seatback with be forced down an extra couple of inches or so, and the floor will be fully flat.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was told by my local dealer that the all new Discovery is expected in the showroom in June. They can take custom orders now.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with dan, what a complete disconnect between advice coming from the dealership and the owners manual sometimes. They, LR, really need to fix all this. Really, really frustrating if you are trying to get an answer about something from pure engineering/use point of view. Case in point above, just the get the damn trailer/hitch/tongue wait specs sorted, there has to be a discussion this long on a forum such as this for this to be all figured out. It should really be just one crystal clear paragraph/explanation in the manual about anything and the dealer/service' suggestions should completely echo the manual. No damn legal dodging or read in between lines bs.

And the knowledge of dealers about their own products is a whole another topic of discussion, you just cannot trust anything they say as far as technical. I mean what the hell does it take to educate dealers. We all know that they are in the business of selling cars, but for God' sake, you are only selling what like total of four or five models and you cant even have/remember full knowledge of these?! Isn't this what you do day and night? What does it take to fully familiarize yourself with a product that you are selling me? Ridic.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just read parts of Car Magazine review. Amazes me that these jokers are the same bloggers/reviewers/writers/car critics who were so impressed and amazed and were in awe by the LR3/LR4 design giving it awards and singing praises of it etc etc. And now the same folks are calling it "brick", "boxy", "soap bar", etc.

I bet none of these critics have ever attended a single weekend automotive design class, let alone proper design schooling.

Saddens me that this purpose built, really well "designed" in many, many ways and beautiful truck has been turned into an overly "styled" minivan fully ready to compete with the Mercedes 350/450.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FOG LIGHTS?

Was playing with the "build your own" tool again and in looking at views realized there are no fog lights? I use mine regularly... granted, sometimes just because I like the look of them, but mostly for their intended purpose.

Do the new lights not require these for some reason or is there some small down-facing LED that I'm not seeing?

Definitely frustrated with the way some of the features are bundled when you are trying to keep the price down on these things. It's difficult to configure a vehicle at $60K that meets off-road and cold climate requirements... Like, why are heated seats not standard? I can see paying for the cooled seats.

There is also a feature for powered inner tailgate (if you configure an SE) but is not clear what you get if you do not order this. Do you get the same inner tailgate but you bring it down manually? Because I'm okay with that. The button seems kind of ridiculous. A manual tailgate is listed but is not clear what that means...

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fog lights come standard with the HSE and higher. They are not an option on the base SE. It looks like they are very slim and hard to even notice, located about the inside edges of the tires down at the transition from the body colored front bumper and the metallic colored "shield" at the bottom.

My reading of the brochure makes me think that the inner tail gate is not present on the base SE, but it is an option. I do not think there is a manual, non-powered version or it would likely state that in the specs.

I think costs are the main reason they have the base model without heated seats, and without air suspension. It looks better on paper (for marketing) to say the starting price is $49,***. As you can see if you configure things, the price can quickly escalate into the $60,000+ range when you add in most of the familiar LR3/LR4 equipment. From a LR perspective, I think having a less expensive base model creates a smoother transition from the Discovery Sport to the Discovery.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72