LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like if someone took that LR4 on the left and blew into it really really hard, you'd get that puffed up bloated mess to the right of it. I have to stop looking at this thread, it just makes me sad.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One aspect of LR design that my friends comment about is window visibility, that it is far superior to competitors. Looking at the rear side-by-side comparison of the LR4 and LR5 highlights that the LR5 has lost significant rear window height. The side windows not rolling down is another.

Overall, not a good design direction.

That was another big selling point for me, so I agree and I've mentioned it before. I just feel the new one looses a lot of character. Sure it's sleek but it also blend a lot more. That's good I guess, because I plan on keeping my LR4 forever.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The window deal annoys me too. Also, the fact that LR decided to make purely an aesthetic design decision to accentuate that C-pillar really says a lot about their new philosophy. They could've designed it to be less obtrusive for the rear passengers, but to me it also seems the D5 was designed around the Disco Sport. (I bet those front gills aren't even functional.) LR gets one last chance with the Defender for me.

Evolution:
438b430d0195cbead06b2b1927bbf6b6.jpg
b4f433d7101dcf51efae51eda58bc963.jpg
704e944a926b240983167debc948ba8c.jpg
f0ab73d77cfb694c468ad4383d0405db.jpg
6a511b1032a6417ea7522485c8630738.jpg

Oh, and we can't forget the Explorer:
7a1ba8d9bac9f5b95c6d3af3d303b796.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(I bet those front gills aren't even functional.)

The gills are not functional. The air intakes have been moved further up the fender (under left and right edges of the hood), which is why the wading depth of the new Discovery will actually be much improved over the LR4's.

Rear visibility on the LR4 would be great, were it not for those humongous headrests on the second row seats... In the new Disco, the headrests will collapse at the touch of a button.

Last edited:

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gills are not functional. The air intakes have been moved further up the fender (under left and right edges of the hood), which is why the wading depth of the new Discovery will actually be much improved over the LR4's.

Rear visibility on the LR4 would be great, were it not for those humongous headrests on the second row seats... In the new Disco, the headrests will collapse at the touch of a button.
Reminds me of the hood "vents" on the RRS.

Meh, what a nerd fest these cars are becoming...

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my LR4, one of the first things I did was remove the second row middle headrest.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the design to production cycle of 4 to 5 years, the Discovery 6 should be in the design stages. Maybe LR can show some "Vision", no pun intended, with the D6.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my LR4, one of the first things I did was remove the second row middle headrest.

Me too, until my dogs figured out they could squeeze up into the 2nd row in that space, then it had to go back in and block my view!

Considering the design to production cycle of 4 to 5 years, the Discovery 6 should be in the design stages. Maybe LR can show some "Vision", no pun intended, with the D6.

The D5 is scheduled though 2024 in Slovakia, so there will be design "refreshes" in that time, but not a new model. I doubt that they will begin on that before the Defender is out the gates.

Clearly the Discovery is taking the path of others, like the Nissan Pathfinder, and moving mainstream. They can blame it on regulations, but the reality is that if LR wants to grow, they have to appeal to more people than the niche crowd. They area using the historical ruggedness of the Discovery as a markerting tool to make it "different" or better than the competition. I am hopeful that it does actually drive as nice as it appears to with all the tech involved. I am sure it will be a great vehicle, aesthetics aside, especially if you go test drive an Explorer and then a New Discovery back-to-back.

That said, clearly the unveiling of the new Defender is going to make or break it for the more rugged fan-base. I think someone saw some sketches of it and said it was "Discovery 4ish" in its design. If they can come through with a Defender family of vehicles that appeases the more rugged fan base, then they will have done their job in creating a family of vehicles. Of course, that is a BIG IF based on the recent history of every model looking almost exactly the same. I am still scratching my head as to why LR is doing that - that just cannot be a good long term strategy. Once the design falls out of current vogue status, then every darn vehicle they make is going to look out of style....

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV