LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supa

Reaction score
I'm totally exstatic that my wife convinced me to bite the bullet and buy my LR4 landmark - tow and HD package. The spy photos nightmare came true and we both disapprove of the D5 look. Regardless of the winch / roof rack photos others have posted I think it will suite the daily soccer mom errands better than off road. The way of the box-look is over.

I also thought that the aluminum body and crossover platform setup would improve the mpg to a range that would provoke jealousy. But 1/2 mpg city/highway improvement is not awe inspiring.

I'm in the high mountains of southern colorado and have been offroad and it's a dream.

IMG_5720.JPG IMG_4808.JPG IMG_4434.JPG

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like he found the same fault most of us have found. Great off road ability, actually amazing, but it looks soft with a saggy ass.

"When I looked at the Disco’s predecessors, which were all lined up outside our hotel, I found myself wishing for a few more sharp angles.

I spoke with Land Rover about this, and they told me the new roundness was a deliberate attempt to create a package that appeals to a wider audience versus the predecessor’s more polarizing squared-off look. While the new styling may very well accomplish the goal, I also think the resulting swoopy curves yield a car that doesn’t look as tough as it really is.

My driving partner and I both agreed that the design is especially odd in the back, where the large butt droops over the rear axle like an abnormal growth, and an ungainly uncovered spare tire hangs down low in plain sight."

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Polarizing squared-off-look."

Polarizing to who? God, if anyone didn't like it, Land Rover has a plethora of rounded-off models they could choose from instead. Now, Land Rover has gone all-in on the rounded mush and said "F U" to those who liked the boxiness.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm totally exstatic that my wife convinced me to bite the bullet and buy my LR4 landmark - tow and HD package. The spy photos nightmare came true and we both disapprove of the D5 look. Regardless of the winch / roof rack photos others have posted I think it will suite the daily soccer mom errands better than off road. The way of the box-look is over.

I also thought that the aluminum body and crossover platform setup would improve the mpg to a range that would provoke jealousy. But 1/2 mpg city/highway improvement is not awe inspiring.

I'm in the high mountains of southern colorado and have been offroad and it's a dream.

View attachment 6957 View attachment 6959 View attachment 6958

That looks good!! Love the new look but it does look like a Dodge Nitro.

0603_chicago_029-2007_dodge_nitro-rear_side_view.jpg

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks good!! Love the new look but it does look like a Dodge Nitro.

There is a difference here that you're not pointing out. Dodge Nitro appears to be inspired by the D1/D2/LR3/LR4, though the size greatly differs. On the other hand the D5 appears to be inspired by the Ford Explorer and other mid-low end SUVs. I see where you are getting at but it's backwards.

So it should be said "This Dodge Nitro sure does look like that LR4" --- see what I did there?

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR is going to extremes to promote the toughness of the new vehicle in order to maintain the Discovery's status as an accomplished overland vehicle. The smooth lines will surely appeal more to the city masses, so they need to keep pounding the ruggedness idea into the heads of everyone else to keep the business until a viable Defender emerges. I suspect that if the Defender actually works out, the next generation Discovery due in 2024 will loose a little bit of its off-road chops to help LR keep costs down.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that we do not all like the new design. I like the front and sides but hate the back. However the LR4 design dates back to 2004/5 it was definitely time for a change.
As far as toughness and off-road prowess the Discovery has the LR4 beat by a large margin. So far LR has always upped the game why would they go back (they already have in a way, making the transfer case and locking rear diff options but they are still available).
And yes I do believe that the New Defender will be even more off-road worthy.
Most people buy an image, a lifestyle when they buy a car, they do not necessarily live that lifestyle (Subaru for nature lovers, Porsche for speed freaks and Land Rover (Range Rover included obviously) for the adventurers with high status).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72