LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I even have a 285/70-18 on mine now but because i'm not using spacers, it tucks inside the rub range - even though just barely

For looks though, 285/60-18 is so cool, even more if using a 25mm spacer. I admit it is so hard sometimes to leave things how they function best vs being swayed by how cool it looks ;)

Thanks, jwest, that is very helpful. But if you say 285/70-18, that’s with rods or other mods, right? Even though the wells on your LR3 are apparently 0.5” bigger than on my LR4… Myself, I won’t pretend to have no regard for the looks:), but I do actual offroad and the wheels need to articulate, be it in rock crawl or in deep sand… So I don’t mind if 265/65 fits easier than 285/60 because that actually means slightly more sidewall…

Btw., is the sun roof on LR3 not the same size as on LR4? If so, then I have crawled to the RTT through mine, although admittedly, I’m only 5’8 and 32” circumference:).

And, there is a solution for scratches on the roof (and elsewhere) - protective film! XPEL even have pre-cut sets depending on model year and engine version. Costs a few hundred but well worth it when done properly - especially the front of the car. You can put thinner one on the sides and rear… I’ve had mine for two years now, been in all weathers, washed it, scratched it - and it’s GREAT!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw., is the sun roof on LR3 not the same size as on LR4? If so, then I have crawled to the RTT through mine, although admittedly, I’m only 5’8 and 32” circumference:).

And there it is. 32"? I think I left that behind in my 20's! (And I'm almost 65 now.) So, no, the sunroof on my MY14 LR4 was not conducive to exiting the premises. But I did appreciate having the build in window screen. Very handy for keeping the larger size bugs out.

Back to the topic of the D5, does it offer a full size spare and if so is the space situation similar to the LRx or did the provide a bit more room?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, jwest, that is very helpful. But if you say 285/70-18, that’s with rods or other mods, right? Even though the wells on your LR3 are apparently 0.5” bigger than on my LR4…

I am also only 32-33" waist but I do not find the LR3 sunroof to be very inviting for exit unless only emergency. Go compare a LC size sometime, it's almost 2x as much space.

I do not think the LR3 fender liner has any different space or clearance allowance than lr4. In fact my LR3 had these frame 'horns' that stuck into the space behind front wheels which required cutting 1/8" steel. Then bending over body seams in same area was the other big improvement for tire size.

It would be so interesting to pull apart a D5 fender liner and compare some things. Then again, a LC requires almost zero to fit a 33" 275/70-18 and to top it off, the factory 'rock warrior' 17" wheels bolt right on, no dumb spacers required.

I do not use the rods nor do I confine them. They are a cheap way to get yourself in trouble. The LLAMS or IIDtool are the better choice. Also, I run all the time at standard factory height unless off road. I have not yet fully tested this 33.7" tire in 100% articulation but my 32.0" tires did work perfectly. I've used that size on two trails where it's recommended to be on minimum 35", locked, short wheel base.

The D5 could look very cool, and be super off road, with a 33" on 18" wheel but nothing will fix that idiotic rear hatch-roof-gate.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, as someone who has owned both 285/60 and 265/65, the same issue is always the frame horns directly behind the wheels. When the tires are new, you might get very slight rubbing at full lock (especially in reverse for some reason). This is a diameter issue though, not a width issue. If you can do like jwest and shave a 0.5 - 1.0 inch off the frame horns on each side, you would open up a lot more room.

In my experience, the width didn't make any difference whatsoever to clearance issues. My fender liners are pristine, despite aggressive off-road duty at speed in the dunes.

(I have Compomotives fwiw)

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so far I’ve only read ¼ or ⅓ of this thread, the beginning and the end, so perhaps the answer to my question is contained in the part I’m still working on, sorry... But I would like to know what the max tyre dimensions are on a LR4 when you adopt the strictest criteria: NO MODS and NO RUBBING (or only very slight) in ACCESS HEIGHT. I mean, I’d love to get bigger AT or even MT shoes but I also go in low underground garages pretty often and have to manoeuvre in them...

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As to D5 and whether it allows for a full spare… I don’t know, I just somehow can’t be bothered. My dealership sent me an invite to Open Days a long time ago and I just couldn’t find the motivation to get out of bed… From everything I see and hear, this car is a little more modern, of course, but just so… uninspiring. I have a very hard time imagine anyone actually going on a trail in one. So I’m waiting for the new Def to make me regret I have a LR4:).

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve actually spent some time comparing the specs and found only four categories where the D5 prevails over LR4, and only one that matters. It has a wading depth of 900 mm instead of 700 mm - but that is easily solved with a snorkel and then the LR4 must surely prevail, being taller. It has a better departure angle - but an inferior approach and brakover, which matter more. It has a built-in tiltometer configured for the car - but you can get analogue ones very cheaply, so this would only matter in very extreme situations where every degree counts… Who’s gonna take D5 to those? AND it apparently has a better infotainment system. The only thing that matters because LR4 is pretty poor on that score… But if we wanted infotainment, we’d all be buying latest BMWs, so again… And I haven’t seen any skid plates or ladders being offered for D5. Or roof racks, for that matter… Can it be towed out of mud without mods, as the LR4 can? No, because it’s a monocoque! So… Nice SUV for sure, just not an offroad car anymore, right?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so far I’ve only read ¼ or ⅓ of this thread, the beginning and the end, so perhaps the answer to my question is contained in the part I’m still working on, sorry... But I would like to know what the max tyre dimensions are on a LR4 when you adopt the strictest criteria: NO MODS and NO RUBBING (or only very slight) in ACCESS HEIGHT. I mean, I’d love to get bigger AT or even MT shoes but I also go in low underground garages pretty often and have to manoeuvre in them...

This is actually the wrong thread for getting so deep into tire talk. Go to the recent tire threads, this is the D5 chit chat ***** and moan thread ;) See you over there...

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To make up for my mistake, lemme drop in one more moan about D5 - the total clearance in offroad height is 1.1” less, as I understand. Oh, and it has no rear bumper that I can see, so bye, bye, spare wheel holds and such, right? That’s two moans:).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut