Lug nut covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is embarrassing....How does one remove lug nut covers? or do they come off????
I started to do a brake job on my Discovery (not my first brake job, but first on this car), and can't get the !@#$%%^^* lug nuts off. I've tried prying with a screwdriver, pulling with pliers and visegrips, and general all around swearing. I don't want to mangle my wheels, and figure there must be a trick to it. Anyone???

BTW, Roverchic, you now have company.....I'm female, too. Bought my Disco a couple months ago and LOVE IT! Now I'm learning to work on it. And have little, stupid questions like this one....

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
teeeheee.. been there :)

They arent removable. You just have to fight them VERY hard, b/c certain twitt decided to overtight them :(

If you plant to ever do it again - go and by X shaped wrench in local autoshop or walmart. Also you may have to get piece of tubing and put it over one of handles (or handle if you using stock wrench) thus increasing your application strength pretty serioisly.

Last edited:
D

discomike

Summer,
What year is your truck??
If you can't fit the standard lug wrench on the Rovers lug nut it is probably because someone has used the wrong socket in the past.
Get back to us with the year.
Mike J.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Summer,

Welcome to the site! You can buy a breaker bar, a long wrench type thing. That should work!!! Good luck. They are a pain in the butt.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everybody! I am new to this forum! Looks like a great place to hang when I am not driving rover in river! To the topic, I think we have all had "Lug Nut" problems before. After breaking the "Genuine Land Rover" ha ha lug wrench I bought the really big lug wrench from Rovers North $ a large bottle of anti-sieze compound from local Napa auto store. Stand on really large lug wrench to remove lug nuts the first time, and apply anti-sieze to nuts,lugs, and mating surface of back of wheel. Your future will be much, much better W/anti-sieze. (I use it on everything)

M

marc olivares

summer,

if you managed to trash your lugnuts while attempting to remove, i've got a bunch i could sell you cheap! just a thought?

or for that matter if anyone else needs a few lugnuts let me know.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, My Discovery is a '96
I don't have a lug wrench, I went and bought a 1 1/16 socket. It's not big enough to go over the covers / lug nuts. Thinking about trying a bigger one.
I'm VERY familar with breaker bars, learned to use it when I need brute strength, and know to stand my 120lbs on it. I'm getting the feeling I may need a longer one, tho....
I haven't been able to find an X lug wrench with a big enough socket.
THANK YOU so much for your replies, I feel more hopeful than stupid.

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those lug covers are actually part of the lug. They are designed so as not to fuse to the rim. I think the socket I bought was a 1 1/2 in I got at autozone, I'll have to double check that when I get home(I'm at work) My rover is a 99 disco 2

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The 4 way lug wrench, you should be able to find at any Sears store or any place that services or sells stuff for larger trucks (i.e. 1 ton and larger) 27mm or 28mm should fit with no issue unless something is wrong.

D

discomike

Summer,
If your 1 1/16th. socket didn't fit it is because someone used the wrong size socket at one time and bent the tin covers over the sockets. As long as the socket you are using is a 6 point socket, it is correct.
Now all you can do is try and find a larger socket to take off the old lug nuts and replace them with new ones.
The same thing happened to me, the tire store I usually use tried the wrong socket and thrashed them all, they also paid for replacements at $13.00 a piece.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA