Lug nut covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't advise standing on the lug wrench to get the lugs off. My friend snapped the bolt off. Granted it was a chevy, but you never know. A good length torque wrench with proper socket is what I keep in my rover. Plus when I put them back on the're always at the proper torque specs even while changing on the side of the road.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Latest....Got a 1 1/8 deep socket w/ 1/2 " drive. Didn't even use the breaker bar, thought I'd try without it first. All I succeeded in doing was rounding off the metal cover (now it won't move), and the socket just slips around the lug nut. I stopped before it got too bad. Tried to get the 1 1/16 back on it, still won't fit. The 1 1/16 fits the nuts on the spare, so I'm sure it's the right size. I'm trying to figure out how to Macgyver these !@#$#$%^^&*** off. I've done brake jobs before, on both of my previous toyota trucks, all the way to replacing calipers, rotors, drums, etc. This is flumoxing me. At this point, I'm thinking about carefully lining up the 1 1/16 wrench (I got a X lug wrench) with the nut and pounding it on to fit with a rubber mallet. Or taking it to a tire shop and ask / pay them to give me suggestions on how to get them off, or ????? Any other ideas?

Lighting90

Reaction score
Quick question, are the nuts not metric? as we we use metric over here in the UK...

Do you have alloy wheels? If so, the nut will have managed to join itself to the alloy wheel. I think you can get a spray which will work over a few days to help loosen the nut. Though I have never had alloy wheels because of this problem.... I like my steel wheels...

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try some PB Blaster to loosen any seizing, and then hammer on the 17/16 socket. You're going to need another lug nut anyway, and you have to get them off so they can be properly tightened...so I say, wail away! :biggrin:

(Good luck)

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to Atlantic British, the right lug wrench size is 1 1/16. My problem is the 1 1/16 won't fit over the lug covers. When I tried the 1 1/8, I could almost feel that it wasn't tight enough to grip the nut underneath. Since the wheels were off about a month and a half ago, I doubt they are seized (one never knows, tho). I got a 27mm, same results as the 1 1/16. Went to all 3 car part shops in town, no 28 mm half inch drive. I could go ahead and get a 3/4 drive, but at the rate I'm buying tools for this job, I might as well have a shop do it. Altho that idea is sounding better all the time....But I'd like to be able to know how to get a wheel off for future reference....
What's PB Blaster? Usually I just use WD40, but I'm hesitant to use it that close to my brakes - WHEEEEE, thats why I'm doing this in the first place, I just want to replace my front brake pads. I also want to try to avoid mangling my lug nuts (but the idea is tempting at this point), it will take a good two weeks to order and get new ones, and I only own one car.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm.....well, a shop might be your best bet.

Isn't buying "custom" tools for one job a blast?

Speaking of that, PB Blaster is a penetrator; like WD40 only better.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't it the only reason to buy tools? At least I found out the oil drain plug is also 27mm.

D

discomike

Hey, it never hurts, it is just a big distraction that will cause, in your case Melissa, the mechanic to put your tires on someone elses vehicle, NOT GOOD!!!
Mike J.

D

discomike

Summer,
Call the customer 800# for Costco with your old receitp in hand and tell them what has happened. Let them know you want to bring the truck in and have all the lug nuts removed, lubed and retorqued using a rorque wrench set at about 95 ft/lbs, using a 1 1/16 th. 6 point socket.
If there are any threard that are pulled, or if any of the lug nuts can't be replaced using a 1 1/16 6 point socket have them replace the lug nuts.
They are really good about doing that so hold their feet to the fire and if you have any problems, get back to me and I will walk you through it.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA