Lug nut covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Summer - never let generic store touch your wheel's nuts. They will (choose from below)
- overtorque
- undertorque
- damage lug nuts and try get away with it
- damage wheel by pushing deep socket against it

Easiest solution - buy socket for 1/2" drive and carry it around when going to those shops and always inspect lug nuts on way out. Wee bit more complex - take wheels off, get them done, then put them on yourself. That way even generic stores can do good job on installation of tyre and balancing, and then you can put wheel on, torquing it properly (i.e to value where its tight but you can still take it off, if needed) :)

I will add this to your astute assesment: overtightening (i.e., past the manual required 96 foot pounds per square inch) is one of the quickest ways, and the most common way, to cause your rotors to run out and warp - especially if someone just slapped the lugs on and went around in a quick circle with their air wrench - which often happens at commercial shops that are in a big hurry. Save your brakes in the long run - do it right with a decent long handled torque wrench set to proper foot pounds and cross pattern your torque-down. Moreover, check those lug nuts a few days after as they can back off after being tightened to spec when they are hot/warm - whatever!

Wolf

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut