Making a case for the D5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my dislike for the D5 is pretty well documented in this forum yet my experience prior to now with the D5 has been limited to a 2 day loaner of a base (literally bare bones) model then a 30 minute off-road test at the LR experience in Asheville this past Summer with a more upgraded HSE model w/ the HD package. So, when dropping my LR4 off last week for maintenance work they informed me it would be there for a week or two due to the amount of vehicles that came in at the same time for maintenance items. They said I could come back at a later date or take a loaner...well...the loaner they offered me was a very well-optioned all black (black pack) diesel with the HD package. I took it. And since I publically blasted it in this forum I thought it would be nice to give an updated opinion based on my now 5 full days with the vehicle.

CONS, well...with some positives:
- The way it looks...yeah, but it has grown on me, and it continues to look better when I park in front of a window and see those headlights glowing around the all black vehicle. They are really nice. And in all black...it actually looks decent. Except it's ass, the ass looks massive.

- The slanted front window and driver seating position. Still not a fan, but you forget about it rather quickly as this vehicle has great ride quality.

- No fold flat seats...This was an initial complaint of mine but if you fold them down they are "flatish". Auto fold function is pretty cool. Still kind of a con but not as big of an issue as I first thought.

- The infotainment system. I'm still getting used to it, that's why it's a con. There are a lot of options and it's just taking a while for me.

- The steering wheel is skinny...or my hands are too big, not sure here.

- The drivers window is too high for my liking, as I like to rest my arm on the sill.

- The diesel, well I just expected more, that's all. But not horrible by any standard (well, I zen drive, so maybe for you "race car" drivers it will be bad)

- Tailgate...it's just dumb. Seriously, why would you do this, the split was amazing and this is something I cannot get over.

PROS:

- The ride is awesome. It actually feels comparable to my wife's RRS but sits higher.

- The sound system is miles ahead of my "upgraded" LR4's

- It feels light and turns really well.

- Wow is this thing amazing in sand! This was the only off-road terrain I've taken it in thus far, but in thick sand it is far more confident than my LR4. Especially in inclines.

- Air suspension takes less time to adjust (lighter vehicle)

- It's quiet, not as many rattles or weird noises. I've had 2 LR4s, one brand new, and there has always been little noises here and there that bother the **** out of me.

- Headlights are crisp and even the DRLs are bright enough to use by themselves in the dark.

- Averaging 25.4mpg the past week, opposed to my 17mpg on my LR4.

- Interior lighting is much better.

CONCLUSION:

I should have held off on judgement until I drove one of these as if I owned it. Hard to draw a proper conclusion until you find yourself living day to day with it rather than having one for just a day or two. It's not as bad as I initially thought, it's actually pretty damn nice.

So, while this will not be a replacement for my LR4 (because I am superficial and like the look of my LR4...aaaand I'm too invested in my lr4) it may be an option for my wife's RRS when the time comes. It really is better than the LR4 in many areas, but it seems more like an extra capable and practical RRS.

D5.png

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JLR sales are mediocre at best. The D5 is now $77K, over $80K out the door, for Ford Explorer styling and less value than a LR4. Wouldn't be surprised if the D5 depreciates faster than the LR4.

Recent from Automotive News:

- Jaguar Land Rover sales in U.S., Europe weigh on Tata profit

- Goss leaves Jaguar Land Rover as automaker restructures sales

Though these factors are important to some, my comparison was really just based on the 2 vehicles, not so much the pricing or manufacturer sales...strictly making a case for the vehicles themselves.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though these factors are important to some, my comparison was really just based on the 2 vehicles, not so much the pricing or manufacturer sales...strictly making a case for the vehicles themselves.

Each person is going to have a different take on the D5. Ultimately JLR is going to assess the success of their product line with the direction of revenue and sales numbers. I was highlighting that sales are mediocre and management changes are being made.

Personally I don't see $80K of value with the D5. Others may. Again, sales volume will be the judge.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info on D5 sand driving. We take our LR4 out on the beach all summer and I agree it can be a challenge going uphill, especially from a dead stop. Airing down the nicely worn Zeons helps. I figured the lighter D5 would be better in sand, thanks for confirming.

I recently saw an LR3 from Nantucket with 30K miles getting a rusted out frame replaced so that is another concern. At least the D5 aluminum unibody won't rust out from salt air & water.

It's slowly growing on me too, but I still like my LR4 better, for now.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Vehicles sales and manufacturer goals, that I agree. Pricing, however, is a critical element of a car.

The LR4 used to have sneaky good value. Not just because whether you wanted it or not you got a smooth 5.0L V8 that you needed to spend 10-15K more to get from other Europeans (and LR itself) but because it was very well priced compared to 5-seater Europeans, and a downright bargain when compared to 7-seater Europeans. Finally, it had great resale. The jury is out on just how well the 6-cyl Disco's will fare in resale. And now the price is substantially higher. My 2013 was loaded (LUX, HD, blk pkg) and custom-ordered for 60k + tax.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Each person is going to have a different take on the D5. Ultimately JLR is going to assess the success of their product line with the direction of revenue and sales numbers. I was highlighting that sales are mediocre and management changes are being made.

Personally I don't see $80K of value with the D5. Others may. Again, sales volume will be the judge.

I see your point of view....but...My current LR4 had a sticker price of $68,900(I bought it used so I didn't pay that amount.) With that being said, it was over $70k out the door when it was new...At the time I purchased my first LR4 (which was $56k new) I could not have imagined paying over $70k for one of these things, kind of like you not being able to fathom spending that much on a D5. But, after living with it and falling in love with it, I then understood. In fact I would pay $80k on an updated LR4 that was lighter, had an SVx option, etc, etc. You don't really know how good a vehicle is until you live with it. That is why I am on my 2nd one...I jumped in, fell in love, then got the best version of the vehicle that was offered. Also...I remember building an LR4 on the LR website and after all my add ons and accessories it was at $75k fully loaded. Not saying that I needed all the extras but the LR4 was well within that range.

@Quijote - I bought my 2016 LR4 HSE (non hd) new for $56k...put 20k miles on it and sold it in july for $54,500. It was a SCV6. Was able to get a '15 lux HD with more miles for a decent price since that is what I really wanted. Just saying, the resale value is there, but doesn't matter to me.

I really hope I can keep my LR4 until the "wheels fall off" --- so not even concerned about resale value. Neither should anyone else who plans on keeping it that long. that's kind of my point.

Last edited:

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually really wanting to see the parts that come out for the D5 svx.......I wonder if I can upgrade my LR4 with the long travel air suspension... yay!

Does anyone know if the air suspension would be transferable?

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, I'm always interested to hear comparisons. And congrats on finding the good angle to snap a picture!

hahaha, yeah, it is the "**** side" of it. Main reason I did it from that angle was to show the new 4Runner behind it. I noticed that from the windshield to the back window the two are pretty damn identical. Which makes me dislike the D5 that much more...

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV