Making the LR3 trail ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to go too far off topic or far from the Land Rover, but maybe this will give ideas for some people:

For comparison, the base G on left is similar in stature as a Discovery 2.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gmog_163.jpg

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...but it wouldn't really be an LR3 anymore, would it?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...but it wouldn't really be an LR3 anymore, would it?

Why not? If it is a bolt on kit as they suggest in the postings for the Defender then all the original hardware/axles is retained and the drop portal added! By the way there is a Disco 2 that has some on it with an article in Land Rover Owner International...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I think a mod of that extensiveness changes the DNA of the rig. A little rod-mod to access the last 2" of lift in the EAS is still within the stock capacity of the LR3. Changing the axles like that...it's not an LR3 after that but some one-off hybrid.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I would be in the its still an LR3 camp (but probably not a daily driver). I would think the ABS and EAS could still be functional. Just an extra 3" of lift and 4 inch increase in track width. Pretty amazing!

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you, Hammie. ....that was my point the whole time!

That said, there is still the "tire-bite" advantage of a larger tire. Again, <1" OD larger from the 32s and it's just not worth it.

I'm not in disagreement re: 33's vs 32's . . . at this point, it's a wish list "target".

I'm not sure I'll be able to run a 33, the way I want to without creating some other problems. I need to get everything installed and play on an RTI ramp to see just how much I gain, lose and can fit.

chawki

Reaction score
Hi all,
I know, it's an old thread but I'm looking to see if someone has installed Tibus bolt-on portal on Lr3.
I'm having a close look at these Tibus and they seem to make a lot of sense.
1-tire size will go from 30" to 35"
2-Axle Center will raise 100mm from original
3-the tires will be shifted 60mm outwards.
All in all, that should translate to a gain of about 163mm of ground clearance and 120mm of total width. Above all, the gearing ratio of the portal is 1.16 which is spot on for the lr3.
I'm starting the investigation and planning to go on with this project.
Now your thoughts...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut