Misfire and transmission (2 part question)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

campbell

I have a 99 D2 with around 69K miles. I was on vacation last week and when I started the disco up after 7 days of sitting it is misfiring. The service engine light came on and the OBDII says P0300 and P0302, which is random cylinder misfire and cylinder 2 misfire. I have gotten this before, a few months ago, only it was random and cylinder 6. I ran some sea foam through the intake and gas tank. Does anyone have any thoughts? I am about 1.5 hours away from the dealer and would more than likely have to leave it with them and be without a vehicle. If someone has something easy to try I would appreciate the info... If all else fails I will have to let the pros take a look.

The second part of the question is:
Is there any reason that something in the transmission would cause a vibration when shifting? I have a slight vibration around 40MPH which is right at a shift point. I believe it is 2nd to 3rd.

Thanks,

C

campbell

I will reply to myself...
The misfire is being caused by a faulty wire. I checked it last night (in the dark) and it looked like a small light show under the hood. I will taking to have new plug wires put on this week.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kind of disappointing when you have to respond to your own question, huh.

Maybe someone can still help with the second part (because I don't know :) ).

C

campbell

It's no big deal...
I do really appreciate this board and the help and information that it provides.
Where do the donations need to be sent to again???

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry Beau! I should have thought of that. Happened to me a few years back.

C

campbell

Got new plug wires installed and the misfire is gone. Problem now is that the cruise control does not work. What gives? Could the shop have knocked something loose? It worked on the way up there.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the vacuum hoses. There's a diaphragm located just to the front of the throttle actuator, and a series of vacuum lines that join at a "T" between the diaphragm and the driver's front fender (behind the airbox IIRC). Those connections get old and ed and leak, and the vacuum-operated CC won't work then.

Start there, then check the diaphragm, then check the brake light switch that's attached to the brake pedal.

Andy

C

campbell

I looked at that but was not sure if it was incorrect. I saw the "T" connection you referred to. There appear to be two hoses attached and a white nub looking thing that looks like it should have another hose attached but I can't find one. Could someone take a digital picture of that and post? I would appreciate it greatly. Also there is a small black hose over by the master cylinder that has an angled cut on the end. It looks like it is suppose to be cut that way. I appears to come from under the master cylinder and bends over the master cylinder towards the upper intake and is attached to the firewall. It ends just at the upper intake right next to the ingition coil. Could this just be a breather tube? I will try to post a picture of the vacuum pump as it is on my vehicle.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
campbell said:
I looked at that but was not sure if it was incorrect. I saw the "T" connection you referred to. There appear to be two hoses attached and a white nub looking thing that looks like it should have another hose attached but I can't find one. Could someone take a digital picture of that and post? I would appreciate it greatly.
There should be three hoses joined at the "T" -- I can post a picture tomorrow if no one beats me to it. IIRC, the hoses come from the diaphragm, the firewall, and up near the front of the truck (on a D1).

Also there is a small black hose over by the master cylinder that has an angled cut on the end. It looks like it is suppose to be cut that way. I appears to come from under the master cylinder and bends over the master cylinder towards the upper intake and is attached to the firewall. It ends just at the upper intake right next to the ingition coil. Could this just be a breather tube? I will try to post a picture of the vacuum pump as it is on my vehicle.
Not sure what this one is -- might be able to ID it with a pic :biggrin:

C

campbell

You were right Moose.
Last night I was putting something in the back of my D2. I closed the door and proceeded to tie my shoe while resting my foot on the bumper. I noticed the brake lights were on. The brake switch was messed up. I pressed the switch and released it and it seems to be working fine. This seitch is only a few months old so I hope it is OK.
Thanks for the help Moose!

P.S. Is there a mailing address that donations can be sent to? I do not have a PayPal account...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut