Mistery [non]start issue ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vindio

Reaction score
So, my wife claims that she went to start her 2011 LR4, but when she hit the button, nothing happened (4 times). Dash lights came on okay, and no faults were indicated. She called AAA, and when they got there, the guy gets in the car, and the car starts right up (with his magic touch).

I haven't been able to look at the car yet (I'm out of town), but this seems kind of fishy. After letting the car idle for awhile, she can now start it again without an issue. The temps were in the teens today, which I know wreaks havok on the battery (and the car wasn't driven for three days), but if the battery charge is an issue, the AAA guy shouldn't have been able to start it either.

When I get home this weekend, I'll make sure the battery is recharged completely, but wanted to know if anybody has seen any intermittent starting issues with the LR4.

Regards,

vindio

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exact same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago with my 13 lux.

Temps in the seventies, was running errands mid day, parked for a few mins, got back in the car, hit the button and nothing. Several attempts to start, got out of the car, locked the doors, unlocked, got back in, tried again but no luck. All the ignition lights were on just fine and no faults/messages etc. Car just would not start.

Called roadside assistance. As I am waiting for the help to arrive, about 40 minutes into it I gave it a shot again and the engine came to life like nothing ever even happened. Called the roadside assistance and cancelled.

And then it never happened again.

Perhaps that top secret, hidden system of remote engine/vehicle immobilization was being tested by someone in that unknown facility buried several hundred feet deep inside a mountain in the middle of a desert :)

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has happened to me intermittently as well, both in my previous 2011 and now at least once in my 2013. The first time freaked me out, as in-- is my LR's electrical system roasted?? Now I have less agita when it happens but it is still unsettling. I try jamming down on the brake pedal a little harder than usual and it eventually starts up, but I don't know if my "fix" is actually doing anything or if the vehicle just decides to start for some unrelated reason.

Causeway LR4

Reaction score
Same thing at about 50K miles in LR4 LUX. AAA comes and it starts up. Had it sent to dealer and they could find nothing wrong.

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be the gear lever wasn't all the way into Park ? Cause if park is not properly engaged the car will not start.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Release and depress the brake with more force has always worked for me.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the brake advice. If you aren't getting it to turn at all, that's most likely the cause. In cold weather, it's particularly obvious. I really have to jam down my brake in sub-20 temps.

A bad starter, bad battery, etc., have different signs (been there, done that).

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
This happen need to me twice in the past too. My trick would be turning it off (no visible lights on dash), open/close the door (while in sitting there), lock/unlock door, place key under the right side of the steering column, really step down on the brakes, and start it up.

Hope that helps... good luck.

Btw, I had a bad AAA battery pass the AAA battery test while the tech clearly sees the dash light indicating a battery fault.

vindio

Reaction score
OP here ...

The issue happened once, and has not reocurred, now that the temperatures have warmed up a bit in the North East (maybe it *was* cold-related).

Appreciate everybody's help, and will try all these suggestions if it happens again.

vindio

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72