More Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hello All!! So... I want to remove the rear resonator on the D1. Anyone ever done this before? Should I use a hack saw (that is what someone else once suggested). Or should I just go to the local muffler shop? THANKS!!

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa, I took the resonator off about 4" behind the muffler, and haven't looked back. Use a aw (Sawzall or cutting wheel will take about 30 seconds) and cut at an angle diagonally toward the front ( cut will be shaped like this: /). Or, get a true turndown pipe from an auto parts store (2.5" ID pipe) and attach with clamps or welder.

Truck sounds "meaner," and you gain that extra little bit of rear departure angle. :biggrin: Not really, but you don't have to worry about the resonator getting crushed on the trail (it'll be crushed in the garbage instead!)

Andy

PS: I also notice your thread is titled "more power." I'm not 100% on this, but I believe the resonatorectomy has no effect on the power output -- it just sounds more powerful :biggrin:

D

discomike

Melissa,
I also removed mine from my D2, and yes it sounds better and I do believe it helped the engines power just a bit. Be careful though, you don;t want to let exhaust starting coming into the passanger compartment ans it will under certain conditions. I have notice that under full power going up hill or at highway speeds coasting down hill, that I get just a bit of exhaust smell inside the truck. I would suggest you have a muffler shop cut it and maybe run an extension out.
Good luck,
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! I think I will have the muffler shop do it.. I am not that good with the 'saw'.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wont gain noticeable performance from it though.

However - removing any bit that creates back pressure - helps. :)

S

SNNIPER

I Have A Lukey Raceflow Muffler Which Is On An 2.5" System Ihad First Removed The Resinator But My V8 Sounded Like A Big Block So I Had To Put Back On To Muffle Some Of The Drone Down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72