My Disco 4. Done right!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not with the intention of thread jacking, but for those of you who have a Land Cruiser or had one, how do you like them in comparison to the LR4?

I have a 2012 LR4, but because of repeated annoyances from things going wrong (much of it caused by the dealer and glass company), I've been thinking about jumping ship and going Land Cruiser or possible LX570. I love the looks and ride of the LR4, but am not sure if I'd be better off with less looks and more dependability. Your input is appreciated.

By the way... HikeNBike, your rig is very cool!

You'll find the love you seek on ih8mud ;) The LC is the way to go if you want steel springs that are easy to upgrade/lift because the LC200 has IFS but solid rear axle with much higher towing capacity. There is however an air suspension on the LX570.

PM me if you like and I'll get you started. I've had my lr3 since new and it's about as set up as any out there, more extensively in some ways. I love it but I am also very interested in a 2013 LC200 and have done a lot of research and comparing them side by side.

There are some design features the LR3/4 has that are incomparable by any other vehicle, such as the flush folded floor modular seating that is also easy to remove one by one.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, don't have an LR at this time. I just bought another Land Cruiser that my wife has since stolen from me...

I'm doing some research for a future vehicle and debating between an LR4 and G-Wagen.

Thanks for the info, your LR looks really good!

As in new-newish G wagen? There is no comparison if you want pure rugged 4x4. The G is simply it.

However, it is no where near as compliant just driving it around either. Consider looking at the G as a much more well built Discovery 1/2 with sweet ventilated seats. This is one reason I love the G though, I still have my 96 Disco and my 04 Disco. I love their simple designs and boxy interior space. The tire is already out where you can get to it, etc.

One car buy 2 new LR4 though for the cost of 1 new G....yet the G will retain 50% more value than a LR so it sort of works out.

The G can use up to 35" tires on an 18" wheel without anything more than a spring spacer lift or 33" with no alterations. It has lockers and can use the center locker in high range for gravel and snowy roads. It's sight lines from driver seat are incredible. It leans in the corners but has about 2x the power from old discos ;)

With seats left installed though, the G has limited function of the cargo area, as compared to the LR4 and only 5 person seating. The 3rd row in the lr4 is really quite nice with how the floor opens up into a footwell for 3rd row people. The G cargo area is significantly taller though which makes up for the less length. It's almost as tall as the old discos in the rear area.

Gutters on the G are super solid and allow for better roof loading if that's a plan.

I don't like that I just had to have the LR3 air suspension compressor replaced, under warranty anyway, but I do like that I can drop the vehicle for garages or to stabilize the roof as a photo platform yet raise it quite high for trails. pros and cons

The LR3/4 are much quieter inside while on the highway. The G engine sounds fabulous though and it's more fun to drive.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry for the late response.. dint see you replied. The front bumper was custom made by tactical rovers, i had some changes made to accommodate my design. Kaymar makes the rear but its a PITA to get on... it needs tons of fitting and custom work to get it right.. do you have a LR?

I felt like the Kaymar was actually quite easy to install but your little crazy lights are pretty cool. I'm posting because you are the only person I've seen go with the left tire mount. Nice! Obviously it lets you see out the dropped window section but is there any reason why you chose left?

I can't tell from your photos if you had it moved over toward the middle but I had mine moved inward to not cover up the brake/running lights but it also looks much better a little towards the middle.

Looks good though.

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You ever driven a Gwagon on the hwy??

Also without fitting tires, im not sure i would want to take those AMG wheels in any dirt

As in new-newish G wagen? There is no comparison if you want pure rugged 4x4. The G is simply it.

However, it is no where near as compliant just driving it around either. Consider looking at the G as a much more well built Discovery 1/2 with sweet ventilated seats. This is one reason I love the G though, I still have my 96 Disco and my 04 Disco. I love their simple designs and boxy interior space. The tire is already out where you can get to it, etc.

One car buy 2 new LR4 though for the cost of 1 new G....yet the G will retain 50% more value than a LR so it sort of works out.

The G can use up to 35" tires on an 18" wheel without anything more than a spring spacer lift or 33" with no alterations. It has lockers and can use the center locker in high range for gravel and snowy roads. It's sight lines from driver seat are incredible. It leans in the corners but has about 2x the power from old discos ;)

With seats left installed though, the G has limited function of the cargo area, as compared to the LR4 and only 5 person seating. The 3rd row in the lr4 is really quite nice with how the floor opens up into a footwell for 3rd row people. The G cargo area is significantly taller though which makes up for the less length. It's almost as tall as the old discos in the rear area.

Gutters on the G are super solid and allow for better roof loading if that's a plan.

I don't like that I just had to have the LR3 air suspension compressor replaced, under warranty anyway, but I do like that I can drop the vehicle for garages or to stabilize the roof as a photo platform yet raise it quite high for trails. pros and cons

The LR3/4 are much quieter inside while on the highway. The G engine sounds fabulous though and it's more fun to drive.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have driven the G wagen several times on highway as well as off the highway.

The AMG 18"x9" wheels are perfect for off road use when fitted with proper tires such as BFG AT 285/65x18

HikeNbike

Reaction score
So the Mod list: hmmm this is long and i may miss some..
=(Custom) Front Tactical Rover bumper with limb riser mounts and cables: 20" Rigid LED Bar, 10" Rigid LED Bar, x2 dually D2 diffused LED's in the corner, warn 9000 winch, wireless remote, with custom black synthetic rope, black hawse fairlead, black pro link. x2 20,000lb permanent D-rings. removable front license plate holder. hidden CB radio junction under driver seat with cobra 75. quick connect fire stick antenna. Customized rear Kaymar bumper, modified and re-painted. Two more dually D2 diffused Rigid, in the corners. (Custom switch box under steering wheel) Custom rear view factory camera mount on spare tire. Rear tail light guards. Front headlight guards (imported from UK.. ssshhh)
Complete Magna flow exhaust with custom X-pipe. Complete rock sliders with re-enforced welds. Fuel tank skid plate. Front diff protection plate (re-enforced welds)
Full length custom roof rack with limb riser mounts from UOR, (matched bumper design) :) thx derek
x5 compomotive 18"s with BF A/T's 32.5" tires. Customized inside wheel well to fit.
IID tool from GAP diagnostics to control EAS. (Great tool)
secondary onboard air compressor for inflating tires after off roading, permanently mounted out of sight and has quick connect under rear bumper.
Jeeze i cant believe all this....****ummmmmm
Oh and rubber floor mats... HAHA
HikeNbike is offline Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the Kaymar rear bumper, my rear sensors tone everytime I put it in reverse. Did you disconnect yours?

HikeNbike

Reaction score
That rear bumper was designed by Kaymar in Aus, to work with the Disco 4 (diesel) (hence the exhaust issues you probably had to resolve too right?)Using stock tire size 255/55 R19 (i.e. 31" tire diameter) The only way to get the sensor from toning is to have that tire size (or smaller) and use the provided sensor deflector. I can explain to you more if you would like. Honestly just turn all your sensors off.. (you need someone at an aftermarket shop with LR computer) you can only turn them all off not just the rear. If you have a rear bumper than you must off road and you don't want those sensors anyways... just gets annoying

With the Kaymar rear bumper, my rear sensors tone everytime I put it in reverse. Did you disconnect yours?

(V)aniac

Reaction score
@HikeNbike - Nice images and nice looking rig, mine is similar. Curious, have you done anything to address the Camber issue that arises when lifting the vehicle? Just for context...I'm running Johnson Rods, IIDTool, 33x12.5r18 Toyo M/T's. When I ride at certain height the camber is more noticeable and when I am running the streets the camber takes a significant toll on tire wear. Have you tried anything to remedy or heard of anything. FYI...i use my rig for the same purposes...Mt. Biking, camping and wheeling. ;) -RT

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 year old thread, don't think Hike and Bike has been here for as long. I'd love to see a picture of your 33 X 12.5s fitting on your truck. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut