My LR4 next to a new Discovery...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, apples and lemons ;)

I think there are some lemon D5's out there, as expected with a first year model. I read posts on another LR forum about someone returning their D5 due to lack of AC vents and poor cooling. Another was returned because the taillights could not be turned off and the battery kept dying when parked.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar to a new Windows operating system, there is now a complete "service pack 1" rollup of updates for the D5. And, like Windows, some updates to fix problems have caused new problems and have been pulled pending a new fix. Technology is tough no matter how you slice it, but over time it will get ironed out. The 05 D3's had similar growing pains.

if you can wait, year 3 of a completely new vehicle is always the better option in terms of reliability, especially if you can't stomach some extra visits to the dealer for fixes.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loading / carrying a canoe looks problematic or at least cumbersome with the D5. My LR4 with low profile roof rack works very well for this role/task...
I agree! Although, where there's a will, there's a way.. :biggrin:

2v2utQcKjxvn42L.jpg

This was the answer to yesterday's question of how to portage two canoes and a kayak upriver for a float. I know, I know... looks wonky, but it was all very stable for the drive at hand.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just dropped my LR4 off with the dealership for a warranty item, they gave me a twin speed D5 as a loaner. I drove one of these offroad at the LRE in NC but this is my first on road experience. Super light and nimble compared to the LR4...that's about it though. I feel the interior lacks the stately feel of the LR4...and did anyone notice how skinny the steering wheel is? It's as if it was made for smaller hands...

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes! I did notice the skinny steering wheel which I presume fits the hands of petite soccer moms. And yes, it does handle better on road than our LR4s. The problem for me was that the Q7 handles even better and is just a little quicker, and its engine just sounds better and the interior is nicer than the D5. Then I decided I liked my LR4 better than the D5 or the Q7 so I'll keep driving it for now.

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the pictures! They just made my argument stronger about keeping my LR4. A few days back visited the local dealer for maintenance and had the chance to see a D5 in the showroom. What a claustrophobic design. And with the MSRP it is tempting to go for a new RRS for $3K more. LR4s rule!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... And with the MSRP it is tempting to go for a new RRS for $3K more. LR4s rule!

This has always been my main issue with the D5. We all know it has glaring things we LR4 drivers loathe. But the bigger issue is the fact we have to compromise so much and then pay a heftier price tag for an inferior product. The D5 price creep is staggering. There's simply no value in it at all.

XLR8TOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has always been my main issue with the D5. We all know it has glaring things we LR4 drivers loathe. But the bigger issue is the fact we have to compromise so much and then pay a heftier price tag for an inferior product. The D5 price creep is staggering. There's simply no value in it at all.

I really like the D5 and priced one out multiple times. I crawled around in one, pushed all the buttons, and at the end of the day I just couldn't justify the price compared to the LR4 I have now. Also coming from a Jeep JK I really like the boxy look of the LR4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV