My LR4 next to a new Discovery...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I almost forgot that offset licence plate holder on the rear is ridiculous. A serious case of style over function. That about sums up the D5. Previous versions were the other way around.

The _Just

Reaction score
I know which one I picked. Favorite vehicle I've owned. [emoji16]
80c19d446578f33568e7c49b1f711ff1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

XLR8TOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If LR didn't screw up the towing ability of the LR4 I wouldn't have given it back to the dealer a month ago when I ordered a D5. Agree that the stock one looks boring as all hell so we went as far overboard as we could go with our build:

Black on Black on Black on Black with 2 speed transfer, advanced towing, etc.

Is it the same as the LR4, no. Does it allow me to stand up a couple bikes inside and tow my 25' AS? Yes. Mind you I traded the LR4 AND a RRSS toward this which ironically the D5 is a true blend of these two vehicles - though stylistically closer to the RRSS. Plus I look forward to spending $.20 less a gallon on Diesel and getting 10mpg more...

And no, it doesn't replace what the LR4 is, hell my better half may have been crying when we turned the LR4 in but the D5 will do everything we "need" it to do and thus made the tough decision.

Build date 9/22
Delivery date 11/1

Will update with real world experience once we have it...

Pic of the build:

View attachment 7426

That's pretty much what I built when I was thinking about buying...post some pics when you pick it up.

Hawkigrad

Reaction score
If LR didn't screw up the towing ability of the LR4 I wouldn't have given it back to the dealer a month ago when I ordered a D5. Agree that the stock one looks boring as all hell so we went as far overboard as we could go with our build:

Black on Black on Black on Black with 2 speed transfer, advanced towing, etc.

Is it the same as the LR4, no. Does it allow me to stand up a couple bikes inside and tow my 25' AS? Yes. Mind you I traded the LR4 AND a RRSS toward this which ironically the D5 is a true blend of these two vehicles - though stylistically closer to the RRSS. Plus I look forward to spending $.20 less a gallon on Diesel and getting 10mpg more...

And no, it doesn't replace what the LR4 is, hell my better half may have been crying when we turned the LR4 in but the D5 will do everything we "need" it to do and thus made the tough decision.

Build date 9/22
Delivery date 11/1

Will update with real world experience once we have it...

Pic of the build:

View attachment 7426

The diesel gets 5mpg more than the gasoline. It weighs more, tows less, is slower and costs almost $10K more. No review out there has recommended getting it over the gasoline engine. You would never, ever come remotely close to making up the difference in gas costs with it.

magnumforc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. Our 2013 LR4 is also Nara Bronze and we sure love it. Not only is it more cargo capable than the new Disco, but it has the last of the V8 power plants and that is a huge plus. It stands out on the road and makes the latest "replacement" look, as you noted, generic. Looks like everything else on the road. Sadly JLR has decided to make every vehicle a look alike and from top of the line RR's to the Evoke they are all starting to look like clones that have shrunk or gained fat to fit the line. We also have a Jaguar XF-S that we love, but again, JLR is trying to be all things to all people and like BMW the exclusivity and likely the quality will suffer soon.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D5 is a sad departure from Land Rover heritage. It will generate better revenue for Tata, but at the expense of alienating enthusiast buyers (forum dwellers like us.) My sales guy admitted JLR does not expect LRx buyers to like the D5, but they will draw plenty of folks looking to get into a "Range" that are tired of X5/Q7/etc.

As for the price, it is the first move into reorganizing their segment pricing strategy. The RR Sport (with the next redesign) will move upmarket away from the D5 and make more room for the Velar. (OT: I just saw one of those and have to say it looks better in pictures than in person. Interior is a future glimpse at what we will see in the full size RR and other models. Interesting features, but style over function, more of a Telsa screen-focused interior.)

We have an LR3 and a 4 that I want to last until we see the Defenders. Don't make me buy a G Wagon...

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, replacing a D4 with a D5 is a triumph of marketing over reason. I plan to drive my D4 as long as I live (40 more years? 50 sounds better!), rebuilding it gradually along the way. It may become the offroad-only car with time, but I’ll NEVER sell it.

If the engine doesn’t last beyond 15 or 20 years, no problem - there will be powerful electric engines aplenty by then. Will only make the car more utilitarian, what with all the extra power for the fridge, lights, etc. If anything gets broken, I’ll replace it. Dismantle and reassemble, if needed.

I’m pretty sure I’ll end up spending less, all in all, than if I changed my cars every 3 or 5 years. Not just because of the looming electric revolution, but because I’ll just buy all the extra equipment once - roof rack, sliders, drawers, many other things made to fit...

Barring some nasty accident, my LR4 will live to see all continents - well, perhaps except Antarctica, although it would be fun to test the cabin heating there:)! Once it gets a little older, I guess I’ll venture container-shipping it to Australia, then driving around for a couple of months.

Anyone as much as imagine this kind of things with a D5? Didn’t think so… I say, don’t fix it if it ain’t broken. So LR is NEVER going to see any more of my money again, UNLESS the new Defender will make my jaw drop. Then maybe I’ll reconsider. Just MAYBE:).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi