My new LR4, some vacation Photos, and a Thank You!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, as many of you who helped me through the buying process know, I picked up a 2013 LR4 recently. I want to thank everyone sincerely for the help over the past month! I finally realized, after years of waiting for the "LR5" to come out, that the LR4 was the better call. I love my 2005 LR3, was waiting for something different, but found the new Discovery to be too different. Enough that I looked seriously at other makes of vehicles, found that nothing had the functionality I have come to expect, and then smacked myself on the head for not looking to the LR4 sooner.

FullSizeRender25-vi.jpg

It looks a little different than when I picked it up. Within less than two weeks after purchase I tinted the front windows, had the wheels/vents/grill painted, broke the moon roof, replaced the moon roof, put on a roof rack, mud flaps, door trim and moved the full size spare over from my LR3. The only outstanding item is to replace the running boards with slider tubes, which I've been waiting on for a few weeks now.

FullSizeRender41-vi.jpg

As you all know, the LR4 is a great car. It handled it's first road trip perfectly. Cruising down the highway loaded down inside and up top with a box and paddle board, I was averaging 20 mpg. I was impressed. I didn't figure the 5.0 V8 would hit the gas mileage that I got on the LR3's smaller V8. Everything else is of course very similar to my old LR3, but upgraded. Seats, stereo, and electronics are all superior. I miss a few things, but it's much nicer overall.

I picked this up on CarMax which had the closest option match to what I was looking for. There were simply not a lot of 2013 LR4 LUX vehicles out there in the 6 weeks I was looking. No rear locker, but that was a pipe dream anyway. There have been several mostly cosmetic issues upon delivery from CarMax which they are, so far, addressing without complaint. One big item now is the missing heated front windscreen, I just reported it, they didn't flinch. We'll see what happens. The other is that the battery box needs replaced, as it is cracked. They're going to replace it, but I'm wondering if I should take the part and instead have my LR mechanic do it as there are a lot of electronics/computers in that location. ?

I went with a Front Runner rack. It seemed the most versatile for my needs. Sometimes I need to throw a box on top like in these photos, but most of the time it'll have board pads on the front two bars and a roller on the back bar. The rack is kind of a pain to install because it is so many pieces, but that's also what makes it so customizable. Thus far they have been responsive to my support questions.

FullSizeRender36-vi.jpg

In any case, all good thus far. I'll keep my eye on how the new Discovery progresses over the next few years and in the meantime, I can't see myself driving anything else but this. Thanks again for the help.

My Land Rover experience...
FullSizeRender49-vi.jpg

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! That last pic, what a shot! Where are is that?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! That last pic, what a shot! Where are is that?
Thanks. That's the outer banks of North Carolina.

Some good friends hanging out at the tailgate after a day on the water.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have gathered regarding Carmax and their warranty, Carmax mostly takes Land Rovers to the local LR dealership to have the work performed and doesn't attempt it themselves.

I'm not sure if that would be the case with the battery box or not.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have gathered regarding Carmax and their warranty, Carmax mostly takes Land Rovers to the local LR dealership to have the work performed and doesn't attempt it themselves.

I'm not sure if that would be the case with the battery box or not.
That'd be nice. I don't think they'd tell me that, but I'll ask. When I asked the salesman (the only weak link in my buying experience) he just said they are used to working on all the luxury brands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV