My new SIII

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N

nemchenk

Well, I finally scraped enough cash together to buy my first Landy -- a 1981 SIII with a 2.25 petrol engine, overdrive, and FWH. (S)He (we've not named it yet :smile: Might be "Laddy") looks a bit strange because someone has stuck a Defender bonnet, grille, and doors on at some point, but otherwise... :proud:

Anyway, my question is this -- no one seems to be sure whether the Landy can drink Unleaded. I see no stickers or other markings saying it can, but there's a receipt for a cylinder head replacement in 1997.

I was just wondering whether there is an easy way of telling without taking the head off :confused:

Any other tips also gratefully accepted! :biggrin:

bhodisatva

Reaction score
Hi, and congratulations on your new puchase:). Unfortunately there's no real easy way to find out if your cylinder head is unleaded or not. If you have a receipt maybe you could contact the suppliers?, 1997 seems a bit early to have replaced it for unleaded to me though as over here in the UK we still have the odd place that does LRP as it hasn't been totally phased out yet. If it had been replaced from 2000 onwards i would have been more inclined to think it was unleaded. Will try to dig up some more info for you over the next day or two.
regards
Roy.

N

nemchenk

Reading up on it, the consensus seems to be that Landy petrol engines are quite tolerant, and should go to Unleaded without too much trouble. Someone on another forum said they had been feeding theirs Unleaded for 20,000 miles without any adverse effects (?)

Also, I finally managed to get in touch with the previous owner, and they said they had been filling up with Unleaded for a few years now...

So, I guess that's that -- I think I might just get a bottle of additive, or use LRP once in a while...

Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA