Need a clear Off-Road tire option answer for 2011 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered 5 Compomotives. I’m going with A/T KO2’s. Now the big question... do I go 275/75 R18 or 265/65 R18?

I have the Johnson rods but have not put them on yet. Love the clearance of the 275/75’s but don’t want top heavy and sway from the lift.

Suggestions and experiences?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol guy. 275/75-18 is not going to fit in any sense of the word without major mods. None of which include the rods. You will not be able to actually move at all Rukeyser if you ever have s suspension fault. Meaning even on pavement. I have done a ton of work to fit 32” as well as 34” but it’s a much bigger commitment.

To others asking, 265/65-18 fits fine in spare location at full inflation. You might just need to remove the fiberous shield between it and exhaust or just stuff it in there right.

Ken Verheyen

Reaction score
Great feedback. I went with the 5 Compomotives and 265/65 R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2,s and love them. Perfect for my application. Tire shop did not believe one would fit in the spare location. If you are all sure it will fit underneath, I’ll buy one more tire and do it. Otherwise, it’s going on the pro speed roof rack which I prefer not to do so as to keep the storage space.

Now it’s on to the lights!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great feedback. I went with the 5 Compomotives and 265/65 R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2,s and love them. Perfect for my application. Tire shop did not believe one would fit in the spare location. If you are all sure it will fit underneath, I’ll buy one more tire and do it. Otherwise, it’s going on the pro speed roof rack which I prefer not to do so as to keep the storage space.

Now it’s on to the lights!

Nobody, including myself who is very fit, enjoys dealing with an 80lb item above your head onto and off a roof rack. Aside from that you can actually feel it's effect on the vehicle handling being so high.

The BFG 265/65-18 will absolutely fit but you 'might' just have to remove or bend the arms holding that shield - or just deflate partially the tire. Deflation shouldn't sound like a bad thing seeing as you should always have an air source with you anyway and often a spare is unused for so long it needs to be topped off.

However, it's also best practice to rotate in the 5th tire every oil change or so for even wear. There are a few benefits to 5 tire rotation and almost none to leaving it unused on purpose:
1-increases mileage of overall set by 20%. That's a lot when you think on the math. My first bfg set I got over 80k and had 1/4" depth left by using 5 tire rotation. This also delays the time you have to worry about it and from what I've read, is best for wearing down the spare so it's tread stays in optimal traction properties too when needed.

2-you are probably aware that if you have a non-repairable tire that has worn past a certain %, which isn't much in terms of overall life, you'll be told to replace both tires on that axle to not damage the differential. When you have an equally worn spare, you just pop it on and put the newest one in the back with the hope that you don't get another non-repairable flat while doing only a 4 tire rotation until next new set.

3-last thing is about tire age. Ever seen a spare that hasn't been used in 10-15 yrs? Not a good thing to be having to rely on an old cracking tire when you're in serious need to depend on it out in the middle of nowhere or on a tough trail. 5 tire rotation eliminated the old spare issue plus it has you see each tire more often and notice any potential bad cuts or the odd carcass issue.

Shredahead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody, including myself who is very fit, enjoys dealing with an 80lb item above your head onto and off a roof rack. Aside from that you can actually feel it's effect on the vehicle handling being so high.

The BFG 265/65-18 will absolutely fit but you 'might' just have to remove or bend the arms holding that shield - or just deflate partially the tire. Deflation shouldn't sound like a bad thing seeing as you should always have an air source with you anyway and often a spare is unused for so long it needs to be topped off.

However, it's also best practice to rotate in the 5th tire every oil change or so for even wear. There are a few benefits to 5 tire rotation and almost none to leaving it unused on purpose:
1-increases mileage of overall set by 20%. That's a lot when you think on the math. My first bfg set I got over 80k and had 1/4" depth left by using 5 tire rotation. This also delays the time you have to worry about it and from what I've read, is best for wearing down the spare so it's tread stays in optimal traction properties too when needed.

2-you are probably aware that if you have a non-repairable tire that has worn past a certain %, which isn't much in terms of overall life, you'll be told to replace both tires on that axle to not damage the differential. When you have an equally worn spare, you just pop it on and put the newest one in the back with the hope that you don't get another non-repairable flat while doing only a 4 tire rotation until next new set.

3-last thing is about tire age. Ever seen a spare that hasn't been used in 10-15 yrs? Not a good thing to be having to rely on an old cracking tire when you're in serious need to depend on it out in the middle of nowhere or on a tough trail. 5 tire rotation eliminated the old spare issue plus it has you see each tire more often and notice any potential bad cuts or the odd carcass issue.
Great points on the spare and rotating it in Jwest. Does the spare under the rear cargo area of the LR4 get in the way much when off road? The angles look like it probably does not hit much but what about coming down off of a ledge? Ever hit the spare hard enough to cause any issue? Wish they mounted the wheel on the back like in the Disco 1 and 2.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only had the spare underneath for a short time in 2007. It would hit if you were at a maximum departure ledge type situation though.

It would be fairly specific though because it would have to be like a drop ledge or rock. Normally even dragging the bumper edge on a departure won’t actallu touch the tire.

To see just get a long enough straight edge or line tucked under a tire then bring it to bumper edge. Step back far enough to get even perspective and you’ll see the departure drag line.

This is however also why wider tire is less smart on an lr3/4/sport.

For just playing o trails infrequently or in less packs up mode, I’d probably just put the spare in cargo area tied down. Less weight up top and easy to access.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jwest is right 100%.
I have been doing 5 tire rotation on my LR4 . I never had a flat tire with BFG TA KO 265/65/18 but...just few days ago I got a flat on my Audi S4. Audi came with a spare doughnut so at least I had something to use.
My flat tire could not be repaired so I got a new one. Not a problem.
The problem is to shave a new tire to match remaining one. Good luck finding a place which can do it. Finally I found a guy through a friend who races cars.
Just extra work and time to take care of it.
It is stupid to have a doughnut spare . What is even worse is no spare nowadays.
I do not care about few pounds of weight savings. Hello car manufacturers , give me a freaking full size spare every time.
Back to LR4.
Having a spare under a truck does not affect off roading. The problem will be once you need to get this spare from underneath the truck when you need it and you are not on a paved ,leveled street.
I always put my spare into a trunk when off roading and place my original 19 inch spare wheel under the truck for extra protection.
If anyone considers any type of off roading a matching full size spare tire is essential. I saw people on a trail with a spare doughnut. It did not end up well.

rokurbas

Reaction score
I just upgraded from an LR4 2010 V6 to 2013 V8 model. I first tried the 1.25 inch spacers with my old 18inch rims, but was not happy with the ride. I experienced vibration at highway speeds, plus there was some minor rubbing at max turn. I gave up and ordered 18 inch PD1881 Compomotive rims. Car drives great, no vibration whatsoever.

As far as tires are concerned, I went with BF A/T KO2 265/60 R18. Spare fits without deflating. I live in Dubai so my off road is entirely desert driving and these tires work great.

In my humble opinion, Compomotives are the only viable 18th option for V8 LR4s. I would have saved a lot of money if I avoided experimenting and just went straight for this option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA