Need advice on LR4 20 inch wheel tire options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a little research, and you'll find that many (including myself) run 285/50R20 tires. I am running Nitto Terra Grappler G2s and they rub a bit during the first 4-5k miles, but then starts to disappear. The rubbing isn't damaging anything, so it shouldn't be a cause for concern.

If you want absolutely zero rubbing, I believe the most aggressive tire size you'd be able to run is 265/50R20.

ProTonez

Reaction score
Thanks Crash. And yes I saw that a lot of people are going with that specific tire. When you say rubbing is it all the time or only when you are at a full turn? Is it loud?

Why doesn't Nitto offer a 275/50/20. I think that would be ideal. The problem is I want to be able to SEE a difference since and get a little more width and height. Will the 265 be a noticible change?

jmars

Reaction score
So is it agreed that a "55" is to much for the LR4 wheel well in stock form (no rods) and with a 20" wheel?

275/55/20 would be a game changer and difference maker but doesn't seem like an option w/o modding.......I'd love to be incorrect

Also anyone running that new Conti AT tire?

Last edited:

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ProTonez The rubbing only occurs when the wheels are turned just before and at full-lock. I wouldn't say it's loud, but you can hear it. For instance, you wouldn't be able to hear it with the radio or A/C on at certain levels.

I haven't seen the 265s in the flesh so I can't really comment on them, but the 285s are indeed a very noticeable change and look great. I personally like more sidewall as opposed to a wider track, so I would've opted for the 275/55s had they not caused more serious rubbing issues, but I am very happy with the 285s.

Notice the difference between the 285 front and 255 rear:
c10871bd78097b628eb39618b53ceff9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BJM 2012 LR4

Reaction score
I'm on 275/55 with rods and a VERY faint rubbing at near full lock. Haven't decided if it's even worth trimming at this point.

aRrEGoq.jpg

I have a 2012 LR4 with BFG KO2 275/55 r20 on it and experience significant rubbing, even with a 1.5in lift. I am thinking of trying the 285/50 to see if that changes anything

ProTonez

Reaction score
@ProTonez Many thanks, and I'm glad I could be of assistance. Awesome stuff—look forward to seeing pics of your ride!

Will post as soon as I get it done. I spoke with my dealer just for kicks and they said that the 285's would rub a little but shouldn't be a problem. However, while I was doing my research I did learn that some people complained of a lot of vibration with the Terra grappler G2's. Tirebuyer will only ship to a couple local tire places, only one of which will fill with nitrogen. With all this being said do you think a decent tire place would be able to do a solid job with the mount, balance and TPMS? Link to website below for more info...

http://cjtire.com/

Tirebuyer will ship directly to the installer (CJ's) for free but won't ship to my house or dealer without a shipping fee. (dealer is about an arm and leg more expensive as well!)

I just don't want any problems especially since I am going with a larger tire. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72