Need advice on LR4 20 inch wheel tire options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProTonez

Reaction score
I'm on 275/55 with rods and a VERY faint rubbing at near full lock. Haven't decided if it's even worth trimming at this point.

aRrEGoq.jpg

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ProTonez Hmm, that's odd. Mine have been very comfortable and vibration-free. They ride extremely well and smoothly compared to many other all-terrain tires on the market, which was one of the key reasons I bought them (especially considering the 285 width).

Last edited:

ProTonez

Reaction score
I heard that as well. There are more good reviews than bad.

What about my other question about a tire shop vs the dealer install. You think I would be ok?

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I must've overlooked that, sorry. Reputable tire shops are perfectly fine. I actually refuse to go to the dealer for any tire related stuff, simply because my local tire shop is excellent and charges much less. I'd just ensure that your tire shop has/uses a touchless tire mount machine.

The TPMS system isn't all that sensitive, so I wouldn't be worried about TPMS issues. The tire pressure indicator may come on after they're mounted, but that'll disappear shortly after driving down the road.

Last edited:

ProTonez

Reaction score
Ah, I must've overlooked that, sorry. Reputable tire shops are perfectly fine. I actually refuse to go to the dealer for any tire related stuff, simply because my local tire shop is excellent and charges much less. I'd just ensure that your tire shop has/uses a touchless tire mount machine.

The TPMS system isn't all that sensitive, so I wouldn't be worried about TPMS issues. The tire pressure indicator may come on after they're mounted, but that'll disappear shortly after driving down the road.

Thanks Crash,

I'm going to go for the Grappler G2 for sho. I'm still mulling over the 265 or 285 just because i never did this before and don't want to fudge things up. I will inquire about the touchless mounting machine as well. I will keep you posted (no pun intended). Thanks again!

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can probably go up to around a 31 or 31.5" diameter without rubbing. The wider the tire, the closer to 31 you'll need to go.

A "lift" is not required with either.
Ryanji, would you know how to establish this more precisely? There is this chart that helps (below) but it doesn’t account for tyre width, and it doesn’t contain any tyre that would fit on a 18” but have a diameter of 31”...

http://johnsonrods.com/johnson_rods_3_004.htm

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think what I’m really looking for is a 275/60/18 or even better a 255/65/18 tyre to put on Compomotives PD1881. AT or MT?

Autbond

Reaction score
I'm on 275/55 with rods and a VERY faint rubbing at near full lock. Haven't decided if it's even worth trimming at this point.

aRrEGoq.jpg

I almost bought this truck, drove it twice! Sweet ride! I ended up getting a 2013 that only has 29k miles and is getting delivered Tuesday or Wednesday next week. We should try to meet up and do a little trail riding once I get the lift and tires put on.

ProTonez

Reaction score
Thanks Crash,

I'm going to go for the Grappler G2 for sho. I'm still mulling over the 265 or 285 just because i never did this before and don't want to fudge things up. I will inquire about the touchless mounting machine as well. I will keep you posted (no pun intended). Thanks again!

My truck with the 265/50/20 terra grappler G2's. Not much of difference but still look great!
IMG_8535.JPG

IMG_8534.JPG

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA