Need advise on buying a Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garnerdog

Reaction score
I am looking for an inexpensive Discovery for a second vehicle. it would be used during the week on short errands of only a few miles total, on weekends it would be used for camping, expedition type activity, towing a small trailer or a slightly larger camping trailer. I am wanting to put on a winch, full rack, 2" lift, guards, etc.
What are the advantages and problems between a Disco I and II? I want a simple strong set up. I can only afford a Disco I or an early II. I was a bit worried that the II would have more systems to worry about and the air ride could be a maintenence hassle.

What would be your choice, a I or a II?

any feedback would be appreciated!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
D1 = less electrics and easier to work on, but harsher ride.
D2 = more electrics not so easy to work on, but smoother roomier ride.

Keeep in mind neither will tow more than 5500lbs and even then that much weight will not be fun to tow. This weight also includes all extra gear on the Rover and gear in the vehicle. It is calculated with just a driver.

Owning a Disco is like having a teenager, some are less expensive and less of a pain then others. Some will have you thinking about why you didn't get the vasectomy earlier.....

But either way you will love them.

garnerdog

Reaction score
From the looks of it, the Disco I would be the pick. Simpler is good. I am currently driving an old Jeep, so the ride can't be as rough as that and the storage is better, too. The Disco I has better approach and departure angles to boot. So what would be the advantages of the Disco II? I know it has more space and the engine is not supposed to be as leaky but is there any big improvement that would sway me over?

thanks for the reply Joey!
Steven G.

F

fbrems

The DII has a lot of improvements and is a more modern version. In accordance to Rover which I contacted one time to complain about my DI failures, I was assured that the DII took care of all that. Well, so far I am happy I have still my DI. Yes! I had already my part of brake downs but it is simple truck to work on and if you are a bit handy, with some help of this Web Site many things can be done by yourselves. I hate cars which are thinking by themselves. A DII does that and unless you have the well advanced knowledge of electronics, go for a well maintained DI.

garnerdog

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. In regard to the question of "why buy a Disco II" I have answered my own question! I passed on a '96 that was solid but scuffy but found a 2000 model with 54,000 miles. Why get a Disco II? because the wife liked it! I will be moving to the Discovery forum for many questions. it generally is in good shape with a few electronic bugs, as is par for the course. I appreciate the information and agree that simple is better, especially with my limited electronic knowhow. However, since I have what I have, i'd better bone up. I did get a fairly base model that is not quite as decked out. Again, thanks for the information and I am sure this will be a lifeline for me working on my LR.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV