New Brakes at 25k..Suggestions for upgrades. 2016 Lr4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm at 2mm all the way around already. This surprised me a bit, i thought I would get to 40 or 50k with the stock setup. But this is where I am, so... I really don't like the stock brakes and how they perform. Looking for upgrade suggestions. I would like to buy them and have a 3rd party rover shop install them.

Driving style:
I tow a camper 10 times a year. Do light Land Rovery things, but nothing to technical. Mostly to go camping, fishing etc. Most of my miles are actually highway (about 65%). I run 18" Ko2 and Compo wheels.

Cheers!
Mike

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you not like about the stock brakes? Mostly the stock set up gets good reviews in terms of brake feel and power with the common complaints being short life and heavy dusting. If it is increased braking power you seek then avoid the ceramics which are mostly formulated with an eye on creating less noticeable dust over everything else. I have been all over the map with rotors but have finally settled on a favourite: Zimmermann which are made in Germany. I have given up on finding any decent brake components made in China lol. I run Federo pads currently. I should be able to get two sets of pads per rotor change. Brake pads last about 40-50 k kms. (30-35k miles). There may be fancier set ups but IMO slotted and drilled are a gimmick for this type of application.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I run stock rotors with EBC green stuff and I like it a whole lot better than stock. They haven't failed me this far and I've gone overlanding/wheeling with some pre-runners/overlanders/crawlers/wheelers out at Ocotillo Wells and they've held up fine.

You can't go wrong with EBC or Hawks. My next setup will be the Hawks HPS 5.0 pads all around (better working range 100*-750*).

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, you've done better than average with that mileage, and yes, it blows. I do like the performance of the brakes, loads of power with little fade, even in the mountains. Also quiet for the most part. We've got two (an LR3 and LR4) and it seems like we are constantly changing pads or rotors, so it does get old and rather expensive. Options are out there but not much will provide better performance, mostly different pad compounds with mixed results on increased longevity.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above, stock set-up functions very well but wears out quickly stopping all that weight. I made it to 40K on my LR4 with more highway driving but my wife's brakes were done at 20K with mostly short trips hauling the kids around.

samnt650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hawk LTS. Much higher torque than EBC. I have been able to get 45k miles out of them. They will eat up the rotor by every other pad changes (apx 90k miles)

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to extend rotor lifespan, look into cryo treatment... in general this should double or triple rotor life. Ideally you would find a local shop that does cryo treatment so you can buy your preferred brand (OE/dealer, OEM, Zimmerman, etc) and have those treated. There are also vendors who sell rotors that are already cryo-treated, but some vendors are reluctant to mention the brand, which may indicate they are cryo-treating cheap offshore rotors. Do some research before you buy pre-treated rotors. My LR4 doesn't need rotors yet but I plan to research this and find a good cryo'd rotor when I do have to replace them.

I can't help with pad recommendations, I'm still using the dusty OEM Ferodos for now. Just be careful with aftermarket pad selection, the temperature ranges may be different than stock which could be good or bad. Personally, pad lifespan is last on my list of concerns (second last is rotor life, third is dust) as top of my list is braking performance and pedal feel. Your preferences / needs may vary.

Be careful with ceramic pads, their main claim to fame is almost zero dust but can have some annoying side effects like squealing at low speeds and excess drag. I've experienced this on several other vehicles that I tried ceramics on and it took me years to figure it out. I'm not buying ceramics anymore.

Here's another forum thread with pad recommendations, I've used Porterfield R4-S in the past on other vehicles, they are medium dust and have good feel, but are quite expensive and I'm not sure how long they would last on the LR4:
http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/recommended-aftermarket-brake-pads.29144/

:angel:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut