New steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a new steering wheel from Powerful UK and I've seen the video they put out. Looks straight forward, but any time someone warns about an "explosive device" I get a bit puckered.

I seem to remember a post where someone has done the swap but figured I'd ask the broader group in case anyone else is thinking the same thing.

Anything to be aware of other than the obvious delicate nature of the airbag? I know the trigger for it is elsewhere but is there anything else to know about the airbag itself?

The steering wheel looks great by the way. Can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

thanks

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing to fear. (of course)

This steering wheel is really nice. Install went as described in the video with no airbag incidents.
I can't believe we didn't do this years ago. We bought the car with a nasty steering wheel anyway
and basically lived with it with an even worse cover on it. The cover was flaking like crazy as you can tell in the pic.
Anyway, here's the before and after.

before.jpg

after.jpg

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does look great, I see you have the air bag pucker, I tried using a heat gun to push the top lip back down on mine but I was like you, scared the bag was going to explode.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same "air bag pucker" on my 2005 and decided I like it that way.

I also do not want to do what it would take to get a new one.

Patina of age is how I look at it.

The perimeter of my factory 2005 steering wheel looks a bit different than your original and while the top of it is a bit rough, I will be leaving it as factory.

Below is the only jpg I could find of my steering wheel - shows the left side.

If you ever want to install an LR4 steering wheel to your LR3, below is a link to the conversion kit required to get the electrical to work.

https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/category/steering-wheel-conversion

Steering Wheel side view showing possible switch location DSCN1944.jpg

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
His original pic has a cover on the steering wheel, that's possibly why it looks different. I guess there are two things you can count on with the LR3, the air bag pucker, and the dash cracking.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV