New To Land Rover, HSE or HSE LUX?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eastLR4

Reaction score
I read the other thread on changing the lights out and it seems like a piece of cake. Appreciate all the good info out there!

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be some pics of the lights that have been converted using the Phillips CV ultras in this forum. You can kind of get an idea what they look like from the pics but I can tell you that it is going to give you a much brighter WHITE. The stock halogens are downright dull yellow. If you do replace I would recommend doing the low beams, high beams, AND the fog lights for maximum affect. The change out is not that complicated.

eastLR4

Reaction score
There should be some pics of the lights that have been converted using the Phillips CV ultras in this forum. You can kind of get an idea what they look like from the pics but I can tell you that it is going to give you a much brighter WHITE. The stock halogens are downright dull yellow. If you do replace I would recommend doing the low beams, high beams, AND the fog lights for maximum affect. The change out is not that complicated.

I think the Phillips CV is best route. I may go PIAA's too since I've always liked them. I like the contrast between the white low beams and the PIAA H11 PLASMA YELLOW fog lights... would be sweet!

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking into PIAA prior to the CV ultras, and the Ultras were hands down brighter. But, I do agree the plasma yellow for fogs would be awesome, but at $100 a set, I couldn't justify. If you do get your Lanny and do the yellow for fogs please take a pic.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 weeks ago my husband surprised me with a white 2011 LR4 HSE! I love it! And I actually started a similar thread a couple months ago bc I was concerned with all thte cameras and "blue screen" issues people with LUX were having. I figured the less gadgets I have, the less can go wrong. The only thing I really would love from the LUX is the Keyless entry ( with kids this would be huge for me) and the memory seats bc my husband, who has never been a "car guy", now constantly wants to drive my car and has completely fallen in love with it. In fact, he said if money weren't an object, he'd get a fully loaded RR! But of course, money is an object. Lol I am thrilled with my HSE and those two components I mentioned weren't really worth the extra 6k. Let us know what you decide, but you can't go wrong with the HSE...especially in white!! Outstanding!

eastLR4

Reaction score
Laszlo, I'll be sure to post plenty of pics. I'm not a huge fan of the white HID low beams and then white HID looking fogs, especially since the fog lights are not projectors. Maybe I just want to be a little different!

UGAgirl97, yes I saw your threads and saw your car pics, looks awesome. Exactly what I plan to buy soon. I'm going to visit the dealership once I'm ready to buy in about 6 weeks and then hopefully get a good deal on the HSE. If the only whites in stock at the time have either the vision assist or LUX packages, then I'll see what kind of specials the dealerships can give. Also hopefully they will want to clear out the 2011 models for those 2012's coming in. At the end of the day I'd like to save as much as possible while getting the important features I'd like in the LR4.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I will see what the best deal is. Money is of course a factor or I'd go for the LUX version. (Actually I'd just get the RR instead, lol). That vision assist package does sound pretty nice. It's the only real reason for the LUX in my opinion. To answer some of the other questions I do not have any pets that can travel inside a car or kids and don't plan on having those in the near future. Keyless entry I'm sure would be useful but I wouldn't want to pay for it (should be standard). The memory seats would be nice but probably not worth the premium again. I'm thinking I'd like to save even that $1,800 on the vision assist package with a DIY change...

For Finlayforprez, Laszlao, and LRnewbie11 - how hard was it to change the lights out? What color is your headlight now as seen from an oncoming driver? I'm looking for that white or every so slight mixed with blue tint on the headlights as seen on normal HID's.

You guys have pretty much made my decision to go with the HSE version. Thanks again
Hello eastLR4,

The low beams, high beams, and fogs are extremely easy (and kind of fun) to change to the Philips CV. The light is extremely white with a definite bluish tint to them. I will say, it looks really sharp on the road and very similar to the normal HIDs. If you end up with the HSE, then I definitely recommend this upgrade. The fog lights would look great with the yellowish bulbs you described. I have attached a picture so you can see my lights all converted (low beams and fogs on). Unfortunately, the LED accent lights are a little blurry in the pic, but they are MUCH nicer in person! :)

I would definitely try to get the most LR4 you can for your money. If they are willing to give you the HSE Lux for a good deal and you can swing it, then go for it! :) I think you will be extremely happy with the HSE non-Lux if you go that route, especially since you want to save a little money.

Keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions!

Last edited:

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear God, this question should just be sticky with the last thread.

Again for the HSE only folks who don't really know what fully comes with the LUX, the vision assist package with the cameras are not part of the LUX and you can get them as a separate package even with HSE. So please stop stating how the lux with all it's additional gadgets that can go wrong makes the HSE a smart choice when the only thing referenced by most HSE owners doesn't even come with the lux.

As a Lux owner, I have no problems hearing opinions from the HSE folks to help out new folks but please show some more intelligence and at least be accurate with your explanations. Otherwise, you just sound petty. Especially where after speaking negatively about Lux options, most HSE owners follow it up with, "but the memory seats would be nice because my husband drives my car...passive keyless would be great...wished my lights were as bright as the OEM HIDs." By the way, one of the most comical assumptions posted is somehow the premium leather is less durable than the regular leather - that just honestly sounds stupid but it's impressive reading other HSE posters eat that $hit up like it's gospel..we have little HSE droids developing bases on a few staunch, but somewhat off-base, HSE owners who have no factual knowledge at all whether this is true.

My opinion again is if folks who bought the HSE could have afforded the LUX, they would have bought it. I also went looking for the hSE but got an awesome deal on a LUX. I got my lux for $48k when it was listed at $59k. So maybe the question should be how can one negotiate if some/all of the LUX options have any value to you.

EastLR4,

You may go with the HSE as most do but please take some of these posts with a grain of salt because quite frankly, some are not fully accurate. Please go check out both and see if you can get the LUX close to HSE as per another poster, gas prices may help your negotiations...BTW, love the nismo.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to Land Rover, purchased an LR4 LUX with optional 20" wheel package in silver 2 weeks ago. Was torn between a RRS, a Mercedes, an LR4 and less so, a Lexus GX. After driving /researching all of them, an LR was the obvious choice I had to have LUX because I really liked the LUX package options, and once you get to $55-60K price range, it didn't make sense to pinch pennies. I just had to negotiate a bit harder, on the edge of being a "tough" customer, yet pleasant just enough not to be "blacklisted" at the dealership.

I love it! Sadly though, I had to trade my 3 year old Saab 9-5. I've been a Saab loyalist for many years, but couldn't take the brand being continuously bastardized and once again coming to the brink of extinction.

Hope to have an RR in a few years, but am loving my LUX in the meantime; it rules the road (well paved in my case)!

...and yes, Vision Assist package is NOT standard on a LUX, the rear view back up camera is....

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to Land Rover, purchased an LR4 LUX with optional 20" wheel package in silver 2 weeks ago. Was torn between a RRS, a Mercedes, an LR4 and less so, a Lexus GX. After driving /researching all of them, an LR was the obvious choice I had to have LUX because I really liked the LUX package options, and once you get to $55-60K price range, it didn't make sense to pinch pennies. I just had to negotiate a bit harder, on the edge of being a "tough" customer, yet pleasant just enough not to be "blacklisted" at the dealership.

I love it! Sadly though, I had to trade my 3 year old Saab 9-5. I've been a Saab loyalist for many years, but couldn't take the brand being continuously bastardized and once again coming to the brink of extinction.

Hope to have an RR in a few years, but am loving my LUX in the meantime; it rules the road (well paved in my case)!

Welcome and congrats on your purchase!...even though it was not very smart based on these HSE folks.:wink: Sorry, I could not help myself.

What color? Also, which 20" wheels did you get? I considered upgrading to 20s so I can have better off-road tire options but the ones that I wanted, 20" metropolis wheels, are $800 a piece from LR shipped from UK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV