New To Land Rover, HSE or HSE LUX?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ougrad1.... Wow...we "HSE Folks" hit a nerve, huh? Good lord. I personally was not attacking your LUX. I'm sure its fabulous. I didn't realize people on here got so heated when we all drive the same car. I mention the cameras in my post and referred to it on a LUX bc the only posters I have seen on here with Vision Assist and with those problems happen to drive the LUX. I am well aware that package is separate and not standard on the LUX. We are all on the same team here and love our Land Rovers and we could have afforded the LUX, but it wasn't crucial to me and I could have never gotten it for the price you did bc there is one dealership in my area and that's over an hour away. The next nearest is 4 hours away. I paid more for my HSE than you did for your LUX. Kudos to you. That was an impossibility for me. And what I wanted most in the car (navi, bluetooth, backup camera, iPod,) came standard on the HSE, so I was sold.

Again, no need to get your back up. It's not us vs you. HSE v LUX. It's our experiences we share for basically the same car we all share and love.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The color is Zermatt silver, and the wheels are the standard LR4 wheel upgrade option @ $2500 (not sure of their name) that came that way from the factory. The whole thing MSRP's @ $60,165, I believe

I test drove both standard 19" and optional 20's...liked the handling/ride + importantly, the appearance of the 20" much better; so it was worth the money.

It is my first silver car, I've always owned black. But with this one, I can't possibly imagine how I'd keep a black one clean/waxed

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ougrad1.... Wow...we "HSE Folks" hit a nerve, huh? Good lord. I personally was not attacking your LUX. I'm sure its fabulous. I didn't realize people on here got so heated when we all drive the same car. I mention the cameras in my post and referred to it on a LUX bc the only posters I have seen on here with Vision Assist and with those problems happen to drive the LUX. I am well aware that package is separate and not standard on the LUX. We are all on the same team here and love our Land Rovers and we could have afforded the LUX, but it wasn't crucial to me and I could have never gotten it for the price you did bc there is one dealership in my area and that's over an hour away. The next nearest is 4 hours away. I paid more for my HSE than you did for your LUX. Kudos to you. That was an impossibility for me. And what I wanted most in the car (navi, bluetooth, backup camera, iPod,) came standard on the HSE, so I was sold.

Again, no need to get your back up. It's not us vs you. HSE v LUX. It's our experiences we share for basically the same car we all share and love.

UGgirl97,

Believe me, I don't take your post personal and am sorry if I used your post as an example of inaccuracy as it was. I honestly don't remember whose posts I used and replied more based on the content of the posts I read. Thus I never called anyone out but I do feel strongly about making sure new posters who ask questions regarding the packages do get an honest, accurate view...sorry if I got you worked up there.

Obviously, it will be subjective, which is why they are asking for both sides. But let's face it, what comes from staunch HSE owners is at times inaccurate and baseless regarding the LUX options. That's where you guys are not understanding you are not actually helping the potential customer at all. For instance, you may have understood that the vision assist package doesn't come with the lux and can come with HSE but your post communicated otherwise. This may leave them to think the LUX has camera issues when it doesn't and don't know some of the folks with issues were actually also HSE owners too. Can you see how that is not helpful?

This should be a more engaging topic where flat-dumb assumptions are left out. I have no business commenting on the longevity of HSE leather or your projector lights as I have no idea how they function daily. Any attempt on my part about how the HSE might be lesser to the LUX would be assumptions only on my part as I don't own an HSE...well, basically I do but you get the point. But I can tell you why I appreciate my cooler box on long Texas drives to visit the inlaws, how the auto-highbeams are very nice and the memory seat is great for after my car wash guy moves my seat around , I can just hit a button to move it back to where it was. It does seem like HSE owners have way too many assumptions on why the LUX package options may not be worth it, which is fine as it's your own opinion, but the reasons given are often pure assumptions that as a LUX owner, I know isn't accurate.

Also, thanks for sharing your purchase experience as like I mentioned before, had you been able to get a LUX for what you paid for your HSE or what I paid, you would have gladly taken it. I was not looking for the LUX either so I feel like I understand where most of the HSE folks come from...for $60k, all the LUX options were not worth it to me at the time. For $48k, hell yea!

I'm sure I repeated myself a few times in this post as it's late but I honestly am trying to communicate this as not to upset folks but to hopefully ask that the HSE folks put a little more thought not around your opinions on why you chose an HSE, but the assumptions you're making about the LUX options or at least qualifying them better since you do have resident "LUX experts" who will gladly offer our experiences, good and bad. That to me would be more of what you termed "on the same team." I may be the most vocal LUX owner but I think this is something that will help this small community going forward.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The color is Zermatt silver, and the wheels are the standard LR4 wheel upgrade option @ $2500 (not sure of their name) that came that way from the factory. The whole thing MSRP's @ $60,165, I believe

I test drove both standard 19" and optional 20's...liked the handling/ride + importantly, the appearance of the 20" much better; so it was worth the money.

It is my first silver car, I've always owned black. But with this one, I can't possibly imagine how I'd keep a black one clean/waxed

All my cars have been black too minus my last car which was my one moment experimenting with another color(white). It was great for this Texas heat but I found myself drooling over 'clean' black cars of interest. The silver is very nice and classy. My buddy with an lr3 has silver with black rims and it looks sweet. He's got oversized tires but added the Johnson rods mod. Did you mention you were considering putting a stereo in? Let me know what your plans are as I put one in too using a JL cleansweep.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe anyone said anything about the LUX not being a smart purchase. I will concede the point thT I was not aware you could get the vision assist package on a non LUX model. But I don't think manyeople would disagree that it ihas had it problems. As far as the leather thing goes if you rereAd MY post about it I explicitly say that it my my OPINION that it would not hold up as well. I test drove both I looked at both. I still hold that opinion. You have a different one. Great. Congratulations. When it came down to it yes I did the best deal on the HSE no LUX. It is awfully presumptuous of you to assume that anyone who didn't get the LUX couldn't afford it.

mama0428

Reaction score
New LR4

Hi everyone... Just picked up my new 2011 LR4 on Saturday...we were rushed because it was late in the day so we did not have time to go over the details of the car. I was wondering if anyone knows the passcode to set up the Bluetooth? I am going back to the dealer tomorrow but would love to set it up today...any suggestions would be great! Also, was looking around on the forum and saw that there is a patch/ install for the voice activation feature that was removed from the later made models due to multiple problems...is it worth making an attempt to have them install it in my car? I did not have it before in my other car...from what I've read some love it and others hate it... I am thinking it would be a nice thing to have but maybe not worth the trouble?
Lastly....you all helped me to make my final decision of getting the car, I was on the fence but after lurking around and reading what everyone had to say helped me make up my mind... So thank you!!!!
Happy Memorial day!!

eastLR4

Reaction score
Dear God, this question should just be sticky with the last thread.

Again for the HSE only folks who don't really know what fully comes with the LUX, the vision assist package with the cameras are not part of the LUX and you can get them as a separate package even with HSE. So please stop stating how the lux with all it's additional gadgets that can go wrong makes the HSE a smart choice when the only thing referenced by most HSE owners doesn't even come with the lux.

As a Lux owner, I have no problems hearing opinions from the HSE folks to help out new folks but please show some more intelligence and at least be accurate with your explanations. Otherwise, you just sound petty. Especially where after speaking negatively about Lux options, most HSE owners follow it up with, "but the memory seats would be nice because my husband drives my car...passive keyless would be great...wished my lights were as bright as the OEM HIDs." By the way, one of the most comical assumptions posted is somehow the premium leather is less durable than the regular leather - that just honestly sounds stupid but it's impressive reading other HSE posters eat that up like it's gospel..we have little HSE droids developing bases on a few staunch, but somewhat off-base, HSE owners who have no factual knowledge at all whether this is true.

My opinion again is if folks who bought the HSE could have afforded the LUX, they would have bought it. I also went looking for the hSE but got an awesome deal on a LUX. I got my lux for $48k when it was listed at $59k. So maybe the question should be how can one negotiate if some/all of the LUX options have any value to you.

EastLR4,

You may go with the HSE as most do but please take some of these posts with a grain of salt because quite frankly, some are not fully accurate. Please go check out both and see if you can get the LUX close to HSE as per another poster, gas prices may help your negotiations...BTW, love the nismo.

It's great to hear all these other opinions. Thanks Ougrad. I think for the extra 10% or so in cost for upgrading to the LUX... well most on this forum can "afford" it or you have bigger problems than buying the LR4. It definitely comes down to opinion and whether those options are worth how much you have to pay after negotiations with the dealership.

I'm also thinking of 20" rims, along with a JL sub upgrade and some minor comestic mods. Please post your experience if/when you get that JL cleansweep and how it works, etc

uhur - nice ride, pics? The standard 20's are a very nice rim and I may even get that, then powdercoat it black.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, you guys are right and I did a poor job clarifying what I meant by afford as i thought my purchase experience conveyed that same point. That said, there should still be some sense of qualifying better what is just an opinion and where we may be stating incorrect info about lux options as these threads are meant for helping new folks garner existing customer experience with both packages and not baseless guesses on how the lux options can be more problematic/less durable.

Last edited:

rattlee

Reaction score
HSE LUX. Worth that extra money.
When you are spending 50 might as well put in that 7 extra to get the works!

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could have purchased the LUX, it wasn't a financial decision, or crutch for that matter, I just liked the non-lux leather seats more. I also like being a little more understated and simplistic since the crash of 2008. Being cheap and thrifty is now fashionable, regardless of income. Flashy, endless spending, is out.

I also don't like smooth leather, have had it in the past, and it's a pain in the ass to keep up. I don't know much about LR's smooth leather durability, maybe it is amazing, but I haven't had good experiences with that type of leather in the past. My wife has the old-school leather in her BMW and it's still looks new. The smooth leather I had in my M3 looked like dog-pooh just a year after purchase.

AND, I've stated this before, the non-Lux leather is also used in the base RRS and RR non-lux versions... so it can't be that bad.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72