New to Rovers - buying an '01 Disco SE7-suggestions for a noob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

dc2002

First of all, greetings to all.

I have been a VW/Audi nut for some time and with a rapidly growing family need a larger vehicle. The 7 passenger capability of the Disco and simply being a Rover is everything we need in our next vehicle. I have been frequenting internet forums for cars for years now and fully appreciate these forums for people to own vehicles they might otherwise not have considered.

I am an above average "shadetree" mechanic so tinkering with the Rover is not intimidating. I have done brakes, shocks, struts, cams, full exhausts, interiors, tranny swaps, rear end swaps - the list goes on...

We have pretty much narrowed it down to an '01 Disco SE7. Is there anything to specifically watch out for when looking/test driving this specific model? Services and recalls that should have been done?

It looks as though an '01 may have a little left on the factory warranty but I am not counting on that.

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies to this post.

Carl

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The '01 has the 4.0 motor. I would check the Manifold (they tend to crack when they get too hot). Since you know what you are doing, check the compression to ensure that you don't have any carboned up valves (this happens when you only drive slow in a city or use cheap gas). I would also check the PS lines (cheap clamps cause leaks), check for oil leaks (can be good for bargining power) check antifreeze level and for any leaks around the valley gasket (intake).

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72