No heat, No A/C, No Blower

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eieiooo

Reaction score
97 Land Rover Discovery, SD. 84,700 miles
Air Blower Fan not working with switch in any position 0 – 4. No heat, no A/C. When ignition key is turned, condenser fans start immediately. When engine is started, condenser fan continues to run even though no A/C buttons are pressed and blower switch at zero.
All relevant fuses check out OK. There is no 12V power at the blower motor connector plug with engine running, A/C button pressed, and fan speed on any setting 1 – 4. I don’t know where any appropriate relay might be located.

(Previous to this A/C problem, my Service Engine light had come on. I fixed this by gaining access to the RED relay behind the passenger side kick-panel, Peeled back the paper label to reveal the hole and insert a small screwdriver to short-circuit the exposed pins.)

Wondering if my A/C problem could’ve been caused by some mishap while struggling among the wires behind the kick-panel, I took another look. I see a loose white connector with three wires: black, brown, and white/green. Brown is hot wire, black is ground, reading 12 VDC across these terminals. I can find no empty slot to plug-in this loose connector. What is this? Where does it belong? With a 102 degree heatwave in Seattle, fresh ideas are greatly appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Was the a/c working the day you did the SES light fix?

eieiooo

Reaction score
Was the a/c working the day you did the SES light fix?
Thanks Joey for your response. The A/C was working the day prior to fixing the SES. Then the next day, no A/C. Always, when something goes wrong, I look back at events leading to the failure. Makes me wonder if I yanked some wiring loose when wrestling to remove the kick panel. Anybody have a wiring diagram?
Bill

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
PM being sent.

eieiooo

Reaction score
Thanks Joey for the PM. I already have a LR Workshop Manual and have thumbed throught it, cover to cover, to no avail. Would you know if there is a relay associated with the Fan Blower circuit? If so, where would I find it? Much thanks.
Bill

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The following info is part of the electric manual. Which was part of the link I PM'd you.

Front Blower
With the Ignition Switch (X134) in position II, battery
voltage is applied to the Ignition Load Relay (K127).
The relay is energised, applying battery voltage to
the Front Blower Motor Relay (K192).
When the Front Fan Speed Switch (X247) is turned
to position I, ground is applied to terminal 85 of the
Front Blower Motor Relay (K192). The relay is
energised, applying battery voltage to terminal 2 of
the Front Blower Motor (M101). Ground is applied to
the Front Blower Motor (M101) through all three
resistors of the Front Blower Resistor Unit (Z214).
The Front Blower Motor (M101) then runs at low
speed. When the Front Fan Speed Switch (X247) is
turned to position II, the Front Blower Motor Relay
(K192) remains energised. Battery voltage is still
applied to terminal 2 of the Front Blower Motor
(M101). Ground is now applied to the Front Blower
Motor (M101) through two resistors of the Front
Blower Resistor Unit (Z214) and the Front Fan
Speed Switch (X247). The motor then runs at the
low–medium speed. When the Front Fan Speed
Switch (X247) is turned to position III, the Front
Blower Motor Relay (K192) remains energised.
Ground is now applied to the Front Blower Motor
(M101) through one resistor of the Front Blower
Resistor Unit (Z214) and the Front Fan Speed
Switch (X247). The motor then runs at the
medium–high speed. When the Front Fan Speed
Switch (X247) is turned to position IV, the Front
Blower Motor Relay (K192) remains energised.
Ground is now applied directly to the Front Blower
Motor (M101) through the Front Fan Speed Switch
(X247). The motor then runs at high speed.

eieiooo

Reaction score
Thanks again Joey. After many bruised knuckles and carefull study of the Front Blower electrical data you sent, I am inclined to think the Blower Motor Relay could be at fault. This is why ... There is no power to the blower motor, ground is good. All fuses are OK. The blower motor resistor applies only to the ground leg of speeds 1, 2, and 3. The 4-speed power switch is inoperative on all four speed settings. Can it be assumed speed 4 would be functional even with a bad resistor? If only I could find and identify Blower Motor relay K192 I would test and if necessary, replace it. Who would know where that relay might be? This is driving me nuts.
Bill

eieiooo

Reaction score
A call to Nathan at Platinum Motors leads me to belief my Fan Speed Switch is at fault. Gaining access to this 4-speed switch require removing the in-dash coin tray. Should be easy, right? To remove the coin tray, the shop manual says "Release 4 coin tray securing tags". Well, I'll be darned if I can find these four tags ... I know, this is not rocket surgery ... but who can help me get this coin tray out before I take a hammer to it.
Bill

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I will have to go look, I have removed mine before, but do not recall how... Unless you need it tonight, I will check in the morning.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV