Not Starting Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Difference in the 1998 versus the 1995

Here is a quick pic of my 1998 D1 (4.0 50D Engine). As Serg pointed out there is a world of difference: My finger points to where I believe my problem lies.

Attachments

• Cnv0158.jpg
    Cnv0158.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 151

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
And here 1998 LR D1 versus Jason's 1995 3.9 D1:

Attachments

• Cnv0159.jpg
    Cnv0159.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 152

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two things i still dont get - need to look in rave CD i sppse.

1) On second pic - why is that small hoose between your fingers aint got clamps on it, and why it points to rocker s cover? Is it connected right to it ? On 3.9L it goes to plactic T-piece that joins together flame catcher hoose and (not anymore for me!) crankcase breather filter on the left.

2) what you pointing at in first picture? And how is your stepper motor (IAC) btw?

3) no more pink nail polish? :)

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(1) I believe (need to check workshop manual when I get home) that's a breather tube, Sergei.

(2) Melissa, does that mean you don't want my lights? They'll go on a Jeep too, you know...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why the heck they put in straight tube there? It will suck in them oil vapors a lot.. On D1 there is at least crappy filter in between.

You most likely right Andy, it just kills me as weird tech solution.. :)

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I know on my '97 I found both Breather hoses were just about completely rotted out...Replaced them. Of course I did notice a little better Idle, but that was about it.

I regularly lube the linkage for the throttle and clean the trottle body often as well.

Of course I am not sure that any of this will help with starting issues.

Normally wouldn't the TPS or the Stepper motor be more for Idle issues as well?

Please remember I am an okay backyard mechanic at best.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
joey said:
Please remember I am an okay backyard mechanic at best.

LOL... Well i believe that with exception for two great pubaahs (Carl and Marc) we are all here sort of hobby shop tinkerers :)

You right stepper motor is indeedy more of idle device, but i just sort of got IAC idea from looking at picture. Dunno why.

I still think that its ignition issue more than anything else in Melissa's case, but then i am way worse than backyard mechanic :)

Last edited:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uzbad said:
Why the heck they put in straight tube there? It will suck in them oil vapors a lot.. On D1 there is at least crappy filter in between.

You most likely right Andy, it just kills me as weird tech solution.. :)

My 96 D1 has that tube as well -- and the more I think about it the more I think it is a breather tube of some sort. To equalize pressure between valves (where "bottom" end of tube hits engine) and combustion? I'm not sure, but I thought I saw that somewhere....

Andy

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Fuel Temp Sensor????

OK this is the last step and the Rover is Road Meat..I talked to some LR tech's and they think the issue is the Fuel Temp sensor? I am tired of pouring my $$$$$ in to a hopeless cause.. The part is about 150.00 ..That is a pair of shoes guys. I am tired of just throwing money into this car .. I feel like that movie with Tom Hanks. It was called the $$ Pit..This is starting to be the Rover Pit.

Yes my nails are no longer pink (I am starting more interviews and the color was way TOO loud).
Again this is what I have done == Fuel Filter/Fuel Pump/Spark plugs are fine/battery is good/Battery cables are fine/Alt is good/Starter is tested and is fine. There is a problem with the fuel rails/lines some where.. :help:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melissa - check if they are compatible with '94 and i can send you mine to try. I replaced mine to sort that starting issue but it turned out not being the case. So i left new one in (heck yeah, after spending 100$ for it) but old one, which apparently was ok - sitting on shelf.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut