OEM LR side protection tubes VTD500010

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man... I'm diggin that vinyl wrap too. Very nice!

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ummm.. yeah.. just a pavement pounder... :)

Attachments

• 35899753.jpg
    35899753.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 16

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryby if you are off-roading your LR4 I'm not sure the protection tubes are what you want.

I was a fool and kept my sidesteps on for 5 years (I even paid to skid-plate them) before finally removing them, throwing them in a dumpster as they'd been beat to hell, and installing RS Sliders.

yeah I don't slide on many rocks though, and eventually anything will get beat up. I found these used for $200 and spent a few hours on the install. They will serve me well enough I'm sure. Your 5 years of use doesn't sound too foolish to me man. :)

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_4359.jpg
    IMG_4359.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5327.jpg
    IMG_5327.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4799.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 61

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man!
Could you give more details on the vinyl wrap? I've never heard of it.

Do they wrap the entire car? What look does it give the vehicle? Is it for tint, protection, or to make it more matte and less glossy? Your truck looks great but in the photos I can't really see what is going on with the wrap. Except the last one you posted of the hood which looks like the center of the hood is stock and the edges have the wrap.

How does the wrap change maintenance of your exterior? Do you still have to polish/wax? How long does the wrap last?

Thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me it was foolish....because it didn't protect the vehicle (especially the compressor) the way the RS Sliders do, and over time I destroyed the sidesteps such that by the time I took them off I had to literally toss them in a dumpster. Had I just sucked it up in 2006, I could have sold them, even at say 2/3 the original price and used the money to offset the cost of the RS Sliders. Luckily I didn't do any harm to the LR3. I few times I had those sidesteps bent up and when I opened my door the lower trip popped off. I cursed, stomped on the sidesteps to straighten them and re-installed my moulding.

....bottom line, whether or not you think you are going to slide on rocks or not, they just can't take the punishment. Since you paid $200 then I can see your point and go for it, just be careful of your compressor. Up here in the PAC NW, our sliders encounter tree roots as much as rocks.

I used to think as you do. Now, I'd tell anyone that'll listen that rock sliders are invaluable.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you give more details on the vinyl wrap? I've never heard of it.

Do they wrap the entire car? What look does it give the vehicle? Is it for tint, protection, or to make it more matte and less glossy? Your truck looks great but in the photos I can't really see what is going on with the wrap. Except the last one you posted of the hood which looks like the center of the hood is stock and the edges have the wrap.

How does the wrap change maintenance of your exterior? Do you still have to polish/wax? How long does the wrap last?

Thanks!

Surprising you haven't heard of it. Most of the matte vehicles you see on the road have been wrapped. Commercial vehicles etc that have graphics and text on them are wrapped. It is just a thin layer of vinyl that is heated and stretched while being stuck on like a sticker basically. Just google 3m vinyl wrap application and care, or something similar and there will be a lot of info. My truck is actually black, I left it exposed from the windows up. The area on the hood, around the grill, and a panel on the back tail gate we did in a brushed aluminum color. I just wash it with water at a manual wash, can't go to auto washes with brushes and strong soap and wax anymore.

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me it was foolish....because it didn't protect the vehicle (especially the compressor) the way the RS Sliders do, and over time I destroyed the sidesteps such that by the time I took them off I had to literally toss them in a dumpster. Had I just sucked it up in 2006, I could have sold them, even at say 2/3 the original price and used the money to offset the cost of the RS Sliders. Luckily I didn't do any harm to the LR3. I few times I had those sidesteps bent up and when I opened my door the lower trip popped off. I cursed, stomped on the sidesteps to straighten them and re-installed my moulding.

....bottom line, whether or not you think you are going to slide on rocks or not, they just can't take the punishment. Since you paid $200 then I can see your point and go for it, just be careful of your compressor. Up here in the PAC NW, our sliders encounter tree roots as much as rocks.

I used to think as you do. Now, I'd tell anyone that'll listen that rock sliders are invaluable.

I hear ya. Haven't really had any under carriage damage so far even with out them, but yeah I won't be depending on them a great deal. I have an IDD tool that gives me some crazy height and has been sufficient so far.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh my wooow Ryby that is one cool looking LR4!
and I am a guy who thinks that anything other than stock looks chavvy but that combination is quite nice! isn't the bonnet supposed to be matte as well to reduce glare?
anyhow the colour contrast is spot on, good taste!

Ryby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh my wooow Ryby that is one cool looking LR4!
and I am a guy who thinks that anything other than stock looks chavvy but that combination is quite nice! isn't the bonnet supposed to be matte as well to reduce glare?
anyhow the colour contrast is spot on, good taste!

thank you sir! Yeah the brushed aluminum on the hood is actually a matte finish as well, just stands out and looks brighter next to the darker matte charcoal grey. It also has some texture so it actually seems like it's brushed metal. The colors really vary in different lighting/settings etc. I am really pleased with how it turned out, it doesn't fully capture it in the pics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV