One brake light dim.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drome

Reaction score
My 2006 LR3 has the drivers side tail light /brake light to dim. I have used original equipment bulbs, aftermarket and even L.E.D. When first installed they are ok. But hours later back to dim. I've redone all the grounds and even cleaned and checked the wiring. Sometimes I'll tap on it and it will go to normal which leads me to a loose wire. But I'll be dammed if I can find it. They sell rewiring kits for the whole tail light assembly for $80.00 but want to make sure that will fix it before shelling out the money. Anyone read any threads on this or have the same problem?

Globetrotter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dim usually indicates "high resistance" so this would indicate a bad or dirty connection somewhere. First stop would be to check the main connector that plugs in to the rear light assembly also check the wires going to the particular globe. An earthing problem can also affect the lamps

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switch all the bulbs on both sides. Yes, I know the problem appears to be brake light related but it is never that simple with LR. Also do you have a trailer hitch wiring connector? If so, is it clean and does the wiring harness going into it look good?

Yes, you must use OEM bulbs in all sockets, (brake, signal etc), but it sounds like you have done that.

The reason for switching the bulbs is to prove that the problem is not bulb related. Switch the side marker bulbs as well.

Before you do that however, switch the signal light bulbs in the front, left for right, as the problem could be at the front but appears appears at the rear as a brake light concern. Yes, I know the concern is the brake lights but fooling with the front signal light bulbs costs nothing.

Also when I remove the headlight assembly, I put a thick blanket or coat on the ground in case I fumble and drop the assembly. Usually the short connector cord will save you but sometime the connectors pull apart.

For what it is worth, remove the two side repeater bulbs in the front doors and leave them out while testing.

D3 Rear Tail Light backside IMG_0393.jpg D3 Rear Tail Light Front View IMG_0386.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72