Overdrive or no overdrive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eddi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 1970 Serie IIA and I am in the process of getting some work done. The restoration place strongly suggested I consider adding a Rovers North transfer case for $1,800 (parts and labor); their justification is that even over short distances it helps the engine by allowing it not to run as hot. I drive the rover every weekend, but I do not drive it over long distances often at all.

I have to be honest, I am not familiar with the concept of an overdrive and therefore don't know if it is a good investment. I am already spending a significant amount, no where near a full restoration but still a pretty big dent in my pocketbook, and I am not sure whether I should go for it.

Comments, ideas??

Thanks,
Eddi

danshepp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: overdrive

Hi eddi.

An overdrive is a good idea for long journeys!
IMHO i would purchase a fairey or toro overdrive both are easy to fit by the average land rover enthusiast! also for cooling purposes i would fit a kenlowe type electric fan in front of the radiator and keep the existing viscous fan, this will give you all the cooling a series engine should ever need. It may also be prudent to have the existing radiator re cored and the engine water jacket flushed out.

dan

eddi

Reaction score
Hi Dan and thanks for the reply.

I am having the radiator re cored, so that's a step in the right direction. I simply do not take the Rover on long trips often; the most I would ever do is drive about 50 miles one way to go see my brother, and that's not very often. I don't see enough benefits to warrant an $1,800 expenditure.

Eddi

MRover72

Reaction score
overdrive

Definately invest in an overdrive if you plan on taking the highway anywhere. I bought my series with an overdrive and move well at 60-65 mph. But my top speed not using overdrive is only 45 mph

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Rovers North transfer case is not an overdrive, it's called a "high ratio transfer case". It's raises the high range (only) gearing by about 31% and is always "engaged". An overdrive, by comparison, is selective and raises all gears by about 27%, effectively giving you 16 fwd and 4 reverse gears. The transfer case conversion is generally considered to be more rugged than an overdrive.
I've been driving Series Rovers for over 30 years and never had a problem with overheating without an overdrive, even when driving 60+ on the highway

edit to fix typo in "ratio".

Last edited:

samysmith24

Reaction score
Ya overdrive is really good for long travelling like i use it i travel a lot and travelling is my passion being a photograper by profession i need to travel a lot its not for people who dont drive much

Thomas1968

Reaction score
I purchased and installed a RoverDrive now called RoamerDrive this past spring and so far I like it alot, however, if I take it anywhere, it's all highway. In the city I keep the RoverDrive engaged and it makes driving in stop and go quite a bit easier as the old rover is geared quite low. Although you could take off in 2nd gear too! On the highway it's a little quieter as it's not screaming at the highest revs but I won't claim you can listen to your stereo still at high speeds! (I know.....what stereo....)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut