overheating/bleeding coolant system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

dmorro83

The other day the temperature gauge on my discovery started rising.(this is the first time it has ever happened) Upon noticing this I cut it off and lifted the hood and found that it was low on coolant. I filled it up to the level on the coolant bottle and noticed that I had to fill it up several more times after I ran it that day in my driveway. The temperature has not risen again above normal level since that day(although I have been very careful driving it the past couple of days)

No fluid is coming out under the vehicle, no noticible white smoke, no noticible fluid in the oil or vice versa

The past two days the fluid level has been normal with no temperature rise.
I have noticed for a while now the gurgling water sound from under the dash.

As far as bleeding the coolant system, how do you exactly do that? I see the bleeder screw on top of the hose over the radiator.

Any suggestions please help!!! I hope it is nothing serious

Thanks,
Drew
2000 Discovery
125,000 miles

L

lrxd

funny that you posted right after me...take a look at the posts from the forum I started at - "Ocean Wave-like" sounds, Gurgling & Sloshing - in this forum.

D

dmorro83

I did see your post which sounds identical to my noises, although as far as I can tell the water noises have stopped since I added coolant. I did try to bleed the lines but I don't know if I did it enough or what the whole process of bleeding the coolant system was. I want to be sure I bled the system right as to make sure I don't have any future problems. Any suggestions of the correct way to do this and If I do this should that solve the temp rising problem (it hasn't happened since the one day when coolant was low) or are there signs I should look for for another problem?

C

capthook

dmorro83 said:
I did see your post which sounds identical to my noises, although as far as I can tell the water noises have stopped since I added coolant. I did try to bleed the lines but I don't know if I did it enough or what the whole process of bleeding the coolant system was. I want to be sure I bled the system right as to make sure I don't have any future problems. Any suggestions of the correct way to do this and If I do this should that solve the temp rising problem (it hasn't happened since the one day when coolant was low) or are there signs I should look for for another problem?

Okay, there are drain bolts on either side of the block. To drain your system properly; ( Land Rover approved methods here, folks )

#1. Remove your overflow cap
#2. Remove drain plugs from LH and RH of the engine and allow it to drain
#3. Disconnect the bottom hose of the radiator (one connected to the plastic T thing) and allow the system to drain
#4. Disconnect top hose from the thermostat and position open end of hose below level of coolant pump inlet, to drain system completely

#5. Flush with water under low pressure
#6. Apply locktite to the cyl. drain plugs & tighten to 30 nm (22 lbs)
#7. Connect your hoses
#8. Prepare your coolant mixture
#9. Release the top hose from retaining lugs on the fan clow, leaving the hose to rest on the lugs.
#10. Remove bleed screw from top hose
A from 03 MY
B up to 03 MY
#11. Unclip the bleed hose from the battery box
#12. Remove the expansion tank from its mounting bracket, slowly fill the tank with coolant approx 7 pts.
#13. Raise the exp. tank 8in vertically, coolant will drain into the system.
#14. Refill the collant exp. tank until a steady flow of collant is emitted from the bleed hole.
#15. Fit the bleed screw then, with the exp. tank still raised, containue filling the system until the collant level reaches the base of the expansion tank filler neck.
#16. Fit exp. tank filler cap, fit the exp. tank to its mounts and clip the bleed hose bank to the batt box.
#17. Refit the top hose into its lugs on the fan cowl.
#18. Start the engine and run unitil normal temp is reached + check for leaks.
#19. Switch off the engine and allow it to cool
#20. Check for leaks and top-up collant to cold level mark on exp. tank.

If you cannot find the head drain plugs on your own, let me know and I'll email you a PDF with pictures.

[email protected]

D

dmorro83

Great thanks Capthook for the info, I'll give it a shot and see what happens. If the temperature doesn't rise again and the coolant level stays normal could the low coolant have been the initial problem that cause the rising temp?

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi