Overheating problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

maricarmen

I've had my LR3 since April 05. So far it has visited the servicing department about 4 times. Two of the visits were for the same problem: the truck suddenly overheats, temp gauge raises to the max. and luckily I have noticed on time to pull over and stop the car but then the coolant spills out. So far the dealer has replaced the radiator both times. The second time was a recently as a few days ago. Has this happened to anyone you now? Any feedback. Oh.. the third visit was to replace the wiper blades as they broken in half. No idea what happened. It doesnt rain all that much were I'm from.

F

Freeflytim

Wow.

I follow a bunch of boards and this is the first Ive heard of this!

I was also once a member of a very select few, so keep us posted with the outcome or aftermath!

T

tommithy

Sudden overheating like that could be indicative of a sticky thermostat. I can't for the life of me understand why the would replace the radiator with these symptoms.

T

timbo

tommithy said:
Sudden overheating like that could be indicative of a sticky thermostat. I can't for the life of me understand why the would replace the radiator with these symptoms.

I agree or a bad water pump, but I've never seen one fail intermittently like that.
A radiator would be real low on my list of things to replace.

O

offroader

Definitely defective thermostat. Replacing the radiator? That's crazy!

B

BlueFree

Overheating

I've owned a 2002 Freelander for about a year now. And I just started to have this same problem. The temp gauge will go all the way past hot. I added some antifreeze and it seemed to fix it for a few weeks, Then yesterday it happened again no fix. I took it to a local mechanic who works on forgine cars and they couldnt find any leeks or problems. Now its not doing it anymore. Any suggestions??

(Does anyone know of someone looking to buy a 2002 Blue Freelander SE. Great condition. LOL Mines for Sale.)

H

Houm_WA

I had a small crack in the thermostat housing on my '05 HSE; but I at least got a "Low coolant Level" warning and there was no overheating, sudden or otherwise.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is exactly whats happening to my 05. I have 101K and change on it and I cannot see any leakage from the water pump. it will run for about 15 min on normal temp then it will start smoking from the return hose on the coolant tanks burp valve. It spiked it temp yesterday and coolant came poored out and I can't for the life of me find out where it was coming from. I added more coolant to it and it will start smoking before it pulls coolant from the tank. I need some info on this quick being that its the friday before thanksgiving and a lot of driving a head of me. I have checked disco3's board but the majority have diesel engines. The heater is also blowing cold air, so that tells me its not sending coolant to the heater core. Please help. Any ideas???

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the thermostat needs to be replaced. It doesn't open when it reaches operating temp, and therefor the coolant is not flowing through the system.

The coolant trapped inside the motor starts to cook because it can't circulate to the radiator to be cooled. And the hot coolant does not circulate to heater core for the same reason, so you have no heat.

Without circulating coolant, the engine will overheat ******, and could cause other damage from excessive heat.

Last edited:

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thermostat go out that quick on these? I just replaced it about 15k ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72