Overheating problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the other option is bad water pump. Something is preventing the coolant from circulating.

Geotrash

Reaction score
The thermostat go out that quick on these? I just replaced it about 15k ago.
Sure- they can be defective and bind closed. Make sure you use a genuine Land Rover thermostat and not a Stant from Autozone. Also make sure you pay super close attention to the correct orientation of the thermostat in the housing. It's possible that yours was put in backwards -- I've seen that a few times over the years with the same results you describe.

Also- since yours isn't circulating heat (something that should happen independent of the thermostat), it tells me your coolant in the radiator itself is low. Make sure you top off the radiator and not just the coolant bottle after you change out the thermostat. 90% sure it's your thermostat that's the problem.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it is appearing there is a bigger problem other than the thermostat. I noticed water and coolant pouring from behind the motor. I pulled the skid plate and had a look, well it appears to be coming from the bell housing. So I pulled the torque and flywheel inspection plug and the housing was covered in oil and water/coolant. I am at a complete lost now. I could understand the oil but the water. I didn't think the cooling jacket went that far down to were if a seal was broken it would leak into the housing.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it is appearing there is a bigger problem other than the thermostat. I noticed water and coolant pouring from behind the motor. I pulled the skid plate and had a look, well it appears to be coming from the bell housing. So I pulled the torque and flywheel inspection plug and the housing was covered in oil and water/coolant. I am at a complete lost now. I could understand the oil but the water. I didn't think the cooling jacket went that far down to were if a seal was broken it would leak into the housing.

It isn't leaking from one of the heater core lines is it?

Jim Vargas

Reaction score
check the timing belt tensioner

Hi Maricarmen.

I recomended talk with you technician about the timing belt hidraulic tesioner, in some cases, the tensioner don't have a normal tension whe the engine have a normal works temperature, because the internal oil can be degradated, or have a small leaks. Like a normal tensions, the water pump works intermedibility or don't get a normal circulation of the cooland

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had the cracked thermostat housing inlet (part made of plastic).

Sounds like it could be heater core lines, etc. If it was seriously coming from the bell housing, the only option would be a cracked block, etc. and that would be bad.

The other option would be a head gasket, check the oil for water contamination, and / or cylinder pressure test could rule that out.

Needless to say, don't drive it overheating, you will warp the heads, and due permanent damage.

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
T-stat has a life of about 50K, but most people report that the seal goes bad and the T-stat stays open.

BCrane

Reaction score
MHaise57- I am having the same problem that seems you were having, what ended up being your problem?

Jim Vargas

Reaction score
Hi for all of you.

The problem with the hidraulic tensioner may be a real problem, because it's the center of the sincronic time between the cranshaft, the water pump and the reverse camshaft, obvious if you have a lost of tension from the system, can result in a damage on the valves and pistons of the engine. On my case I have a lot of fortune because my freelander engine only lost the tension of the front timing belt, but the engine don't have any damage.Only buy a new belt timing tensioner. Now I have a real problem I NEED A TIMING TOOL KIT, I LIVE IN MEXICO and I can't get one. Please if you have the instruction for a Homemade Kit, please send to me.

Jim Vargas

Reaction score
Hi for all of you.

The problem with the hidraulic tensioner may be a real problem, because it's the center of the sincronic time between the cranshaft, the water pump and the reverse camshaft, obvious if you have a lost of tension from the system, can result in a damage on the valves and pistons of the engine. On my case I have a lot of fortune because my freelander engine only lost the tension of the front timing belt, but the engine don't have any damage.Only buy a new belt timing tensioner. Now I have a real problem I NEED A TIMING TOOL KIT, I LIVE IN MEXICO and I can't get one. Please if you have the instruction for a Homemade Kit, please send to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV